Chapter Twenty-Three

“Make me immortal with a kiss”[1]

After the Firework Fete – just like the teachers had predicted – things started to get pretty hectic. Bryar had been bombarded with homework and dances that he had to learn. Most projects were now finished and because Bryar had worked on most of them beforehand, she still had some time left to herself unlike some of the other students. Bryar had also started to feel in increasing pressure of the Theatre Week. Everyone was invited to come and watch – parents, families, recruiters, and other schools – this was also how the school kept presenting itself and why they were still so famous. The teachers also had created the most beautiful and intricate routines Bryar had ever had to learn for a show. She knew that she could do it, she only had to push herself.

Bryar hadn’t really seen a lot of the girls in these days because they were all busy finishing everything and at night they were all so shattered that they immediately went to bed. There was only one thing Bryar had maintained the same, that was her time with Morgan. He seemed to be getting worse than before which worried her greatly. Some days he didn’t go to his classes because he was too tired. He would be lying in the infirmary and she would spend the rest of her day helping him with the homework or new choreography they had learned while he wasn’t there.

“I don’t think I can express how lucky I am to have you here.” Morgan said, one afternoon.

Bryar smiled. “You don’t have to. I can see it in your eyes.”

Morgan leaned forward and kissed her softly. Bryar loved his soft and sweet kisses. Sometimes she wished that they could just be like that together longer. But she wasn’t going to push him, especially not when he seemed to be worsening.

Besides spending her time on homework, choreography and Morgan Bryar focused a lot on her dancing in general. She had called her parents multiple times to tell them about the progress she had been making and they told her about their work and how proud she made them. Audra also seemed the have a lot to say for herself, as usual. She had managed to maintain her job and she had been telling Bryar about the latest cute boy she had seen somewhere.

Bryar did miss the days when she could just walk to her sister’s bedroom to talk about these kind of things. They had also talked about Morgan but she couldn’t find it in her heart to tell her sister just yet. Bryar knew deep down inside of her that she was afraid of telling someone because then it would become so real.

After school Bryar had been in the dance rooms at least four hours a week. Practicing all the steps she knew and going over and over the routines for the Theatre week. While she was doing all this there was still one thing in the back of her mind: her History project. Bryar still hadn’t been able to finish it but now it was more because of the lack of time. She had been talking to Morgan about his History project when he asked her something about it. She knew that she couldn’t keep it a secret from him and told him about it. All of it.

He was incredibly understanding and listened to everything she had to say. Once she had told him everything, it was like a dragging weight was lifted off her shoulders. Bryar had explained her problem and that she didn’t know if the love story was real or just a dream.

“It seems rather impossible.” Bryar sighed while playing with his fingers.

“Sweetheart, in dreams and in love there are no impossibilities[2].” Morgan had simply answered while running his fingers through her hair. Suddenly it all clicked in Bryar’s brain. It wasn’t necessarily the truth she was afraid of but more her failing to explain what was actually going on back then. Morgan had explained it so profound to her. It was about love and dreams of two people and those were Lucian Kerrington and Camilla Quisling.