13: In The Car

Victor followed her around. "Admit it; you did it on purpose."

"I did," she said. "And you can't do anything about it. We are in public." She said and grabbed random junk food and placed it in the cart.

"Well," he grabbed a drink. "I will make you take care of it."

She laughed. "Ah, no. As you can see, I am here with Emma and Misty."

"I don't care," he said. "You can't stay in the store forever. And I know where you live."

"Go ahead," she said. "My brother is at the house. I hate it. He is babysitting me now. I can't go anywhere without him knowing. All because I have been going to the other side of town. I don't see what's the problem."

"I'm a criminal," he said. "I live in the part of town that's full of us." He said. "Imagine a white chick like you who rich hanging out with us? You don't blend in."

She glared. "White chick?"

"Yes," he took the chips from her hands and placed them back.

"Hey," she glared.

"They have tomatoes," he said.

"Ah," she sighed. "Thank you. I got distracted. But still, my brother is at home, with his stupid, racist fiance's. Oh, I hate her. I want to strangle her. She dared buy me a pack of g strings. Saying they suit me better and to be more feminine if I am to find myself a husband. She wants to apply all these rules on me. And the worst part is that my mother agrees with her."

He looked at her. "You hate her more than me?"

"What?" She smiled. "You thought you were special? Well, get in line."

He chuckled. "Dolly, you are something. When I first met you, I thought you were acting up being tough. But now I know you aren't. It's all you. You seem more like Maria. Like a Latina woman. But I can understand a Latina nanny raised you."

"I can't wait until she comes back," she said. "She's on her vacation. She promises she would bring me a souvenir from her country." She smiled.

He can be how much that woman means to her.

"Now then," she set the basket on the counter. It was full to the top. "It's not all for me. Emma is staying at my house until her parents come back from a business trip."

"I see," he paid for her things. She looked at him.

"I ain't paying you back," she said. "I only have enough for lunch. I have to wait until I get paid again."

"You work?" He asked.

"Yes," she said. "In my spare time, I work at an animal shelter. I haven't worked there for a month since I have been busy with school. But I start up again tomorrow."

"Oh," he smiled. "Perhaps I will visit you at your job."

"Better not," she said. "Or I will get Baby to pee on you."

"Baby?" He frowned and grabbed the bags.

"Aha," she grabbed the rest of the bags and stepped out. "She's a little Pomeranian that no one wanted to adopt. So I adopted her. But I can't take her home because my mother hates dogs. So I keep her at the shelter until I get my place."

"Aha," he is learning something new about her.

He followed her to her car, and she opened the back. She set the bags to the side.

After that, he grabbed her. "Come." He dragged her toward his car. "Don't think I have forgotten."

"Huh?" She frowned.