28: Charity

Dolly looked in the mirror; she's dressed in a decent white dress with black slippers. Her hair was down with a half braid around her head.

She clutched her purse and went downstairs, where her parents were waiting for her. She followed them out, and the whole ride, she kept silent. She was happy not to be sore anymore. She was sored all through Saturday. But now it's Sunday, and she is feeling better. There is still a bit of soreness, but not a lot.

The event is at a fancy hotel. The ballroom was too, luxuries for Dolly's liking. She looked around at paintings and jewelry where display here and there.

She walked around, looking at them. Who would buy this? They are nothing special. But she supposes it's for a good cause.

"You look lovely," she moved along. "Still mad, I see."

"Go away," she said. "I don't want to be near you. If you don't get away from me, I will hit you again."

He laughed. "Behave, we are in an event." He strokes her hair. She backed away.

"I suggest you keep your hands to yourself, young man," Dolly smiled and hugged her grandfather. "She has a man now, do not pursue her anymore."

Bradly nod. "Sorry, sir." He walked away, angrily.

"Thank you," she said. "Since you are here, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," he said.

"I want to move out," she said. "For the rest of my school year, I want to have a house and live on my own. But my parents won't let me. I want to be at peace."

"Of course you can," he said. "If it helps you to live at peace and concentrate on your studies, then alright. I will talk to them. All you have to do is listen for the time being."

She nods. "I knew I could count on you."

She felt happy. She is one step closer to gaining her freedom.

She smiled.

"Hey," Emma walked over. "Let's go try the dessert. They have some bomb ass cupcakes." Dolly nodded and followed her as her grandfather was talking to some business person.

She and Emma went to try the desserts and the many yummy foods. She was eating a red velvet cupcake when people gather around in the doors to enter the auction room. She followed them inside.

She sat in the back with Emma eating; the auction was boring. Her parents bought an expensive jewelry set. Everything that got sold would get given after the event is over. 

She sighed. 

After the auction, there was a group of kids that were going to sing. Dolly smiled and took pictures; they were so cute. Emma was singing along off-key. It was starting to get fun. 

There was more to the event than expensive things. The kids received gifts Dolly took pictures.

"Oh, look," Emma dragged her to the banquet. They had set out some sandwiches. Dolly grabbed some and checked to make sure it didn't have tomatoes. She took a bite. "Tuna."

She sat on the chair and ate. Emma smiled. "What are your parents going to do with that set?"

"I don't know," she said. "She doesn't need them. She never wears them."

"My parents bought a painting," Emma said. "It's not worth it, but it's for charity."

Dolly smiled. "I wonder what Victor is doing."

"Working," Emma said.

Dolly had texted him, but he hasn't replied. He probably will later on. She can't wait for him to see the picture.