Answer

K'aori's POV

My heart was speed up but not in immediate dear but with anticipation of what was gonna come next. I made my way into the room examining the scene, I'd even thought to call Marshall since he was an actual investigator.

"Shit, the hell happened here?"

"I wouldn't need you here if I knew." I snapped already annoyed.

"Yeah yeah." He slipped on a pair of gloves and began to move around the room examining the ripped curtains, the clothes splattered in blood, the dresser which had all of it's contents removed.

"Kai? You didn't touch anything, did you?" He asked without looking back at me.

"No," I sighed, "I wanted to wait for you to get here."

"Just checking."

He continued like that for about five more minutes before he stopped and made an odd sound for a man to make.

"What is it?" It scared me, he was a big man with a deep, full voice, for him to nearly squeal like a little girl scared me out of my skin.

"It's a fucking finger Kai! What happened here!"

"A finger!?" I felt the color drain from my face. Had someone hurt Claire? Where was the body? Was this for sure her blood.?

"Hey, don't worry, it's not Claire's, this finger isn't even female so I'm assuming she put up a good fight."

"That's good right?" I was breathless.

"Yes, assuming the perpetrator didn't have any other weapons. But that isn't conclusive yet."

"Okay."

We both continued around the blood scented room in silence hoping for anything at all, I couldn't take me eyes off of the scene, I'd seen more than this but, never to someone so close to me.

Suddenly, a low buzzing interrupted my thoughts. At first, I thought I had imagined it since Marshall didn't seem to notice, then, it got louder and captured his attention as well.

"You hear that?"

"It's a phone."

I dashed over to the bed and there it was, in perfect condition, ringing a private number.

"Answer it?"

"Yeah, hold up," he came to stand next to me and pulled out his own phone, "I can record the call that way we can review any clues."

"Whatever."

I snatched the phone up and clicked the screen to answer.

"Hello?" My voice was now firm, as if I was back in my office.

"Hello K'aori Joyner."

I did not recognize this voice, nor the tone, the only thing that could come to mind was that they were using a modifier.

"Who is this?" I knew they wouldn't answer but it was worth a shot.

"Someone who will generously leave this pretty blonde alive, if you do exactly as I say.

Claire's alive...