24: The Beginning of an End

"Nico, I have a question for you." Kayla sat down across from Nico with absolutely no warning. Nico was actually kind of used to it by then.

"Yes."

"Who was the little kid that Will was protecting?" Kayla asked him. Nico and Will exchanged a look.

"I don't know, I told you that."

"Yeah, neither does the rest of camp. I've asked around everywhere, absolutely everywhere, and not one camper admitted to being that kid and being saved by Will, or having seen said kid. What the hell?"

"I don't know what to tell you, Kayla." Nico told her. Will looked a bit awkward, being there for the conversation.

"I don't know either." Will told Nico.

"You have absolutely no idea? We kind of want all the details possible, you know."

"I'm sorry. I don't know." Nico repeated. Kayla looked pretty disappointed at that. Nico frowned, wishing he could tell her more.

"Thank you for all your help, Nico, really. People are still looking for his body, I'm sure that'll help with everything, but thank you for telling us what you know. Tell me if you figure anything more out? With your Hades intuition?"

"Absolutely. I'm sorry I don't have all of the details." Nico waved as she walked away to her own cabin's table.

"I feel shitty." Nico told Will mentally.

"I'm sorry. It's my fault." Will sighed, leaning back.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it."

Will looked distant as he took a moment to respond. He stared off into space, and his exact emotion was absolutely impossible to understand, but determination seemed to show. Along with some regret.

"Fine."