Chapter Four

"You three know one another?" Mrs. Sanders wondered.

Gretel nodded. "She was in our apartment complex," she explained. "She was finding her sister."

"Yeah, and she is the one who put a hole through our door," I added.

"It was an accident!" Margie defended herself. Her cheeks were now bright red. "The hole was tiny!"

Mr. Hawk let out a soft chuckle and gently patted her shoulder. "It is okay," he reassured her. "Accidents happen from time to time. Though, you should practice using your crossbow." He motioned to me, Gretel, Nigel, Karla, and Mrs. Sanders and changed the subject. "We have visitors. They will be staying with us for however long that they please."

Margie tilted her head to the side. "Are you sure about that? I mean, not to be rude and spiteful, but there are plenty of people who already live in the mansion."

"There will be room for all five of them." Mr. Hawk looked at Mrs. Sanders and smiled. "Also, Laura is an old friend of mine. I would almost do anything for her."

"Except jumping off a cliff," Mrs. Sanders said. "That is one of the most dangerous things to do."

Mr. Hawk motioned for us to come inside. We did just that, and I realized that Mr. Hawk had his eyes on Nigel. He stared at him for a few seconds, and then looked away and said, "Why do we not go to the backyard? The air is cool. Not too hot and not too cold."

Mrs. Sanders scratched her arm. "That sounds like a plan. My son, daughter, and I have been cooped up in a house all morning."

"And my sister and I were cooped up in an asylum," I stated.

Margie stopped in her tracks and forced me and my twin to do the same. Nigel also came to a halt and put his hands on his waist, glancing at us. Mr. Hawk, Mrs. Sanders, and Karla headed outside.

"Did I hear you correctly?" Margie commented. "Did you say that you were in an asylum?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Gretel answered. "It was all a misunderstanding. A long story."

"Well, you can tell me all about it." She faced Nigel and held out her hand for him to shake. "We have not been formally introduced. I am Margie Morgan."

"The name is Nigel Sanders." He took her hand and shook it. "My mom and dad had a fight. That is why we are here."

"That is too bad."

"Do you know what they were fighting about?" Gretel asked.

He shrugged. "I do not know. This is not the first fight that they had. There were two fights before this one. All that I know is that my mom is mad at my dad for something. I only wish that I knew what it was. And why the sky is purple."

"The sky is always purple," I stated. "My sister and I know that for a fact. We have lived in Forlot for our entire lives. That is, until our parents made the four of us move."

"At least you have parents who are with you," Margie pointed out. "My parents travel around. They hardly spend time with me and my sister like they used to."

I crossed my arms. "Our parents may be with us, but that does not mean that they care for us. We have lived in an apartment with scorpions and creepy bugs for the past eight months!"

"Jeez." Nigel blinked a few times. "I cannot imagine myself living in that kind of environment."

Margie sighed. "My sister and I had to take care of ourselves. Our parents stopped providing for us, so we had to survive on our own."

Gretel played with one of her short ponytails. "Dang."

"It seems that we all have our own problems," Nigel commented. "Like my mom passing away. Then she came back."

Margie stroked a braid of hers. "What?"

We then heard a phone ringing.

"I will get it," Margie volunteered. She crossed the room and headed over to a table. She picked up the phone. "Hello? Excuse me? Who is this?"

The others and I slowly walked to where she was.

"Your name is Ava Campbell? And you want Margie Morgan? Nigel Sanders? And Hansel and Gretel Mason?" She nearly dropped the phone. "How...how do you know us?"