Chapter Twenty

You are probably asking, "Hansel, how did you and Gretel mess up? What did you do?"

Just read on, and you will see.

"Stones?" I said. "That will save Caleb's life?"

"Absolutely," Ava replied. "There are eleven stones in existence. A big one and ten small ones. They are special because they are powerful, especially when you harness their powers at once." She jumped out of her chair. "Each stone has its own power. The power of the big one, the silver stone, is unknown. But rumor has it that the silver stone is the most powerful. As for the other stones, they can fit in the palm of your hand. That is how small they are."

"In the palm of your hand?" Nigel repeated. He shoved a hand in the pocket of his jacket and pulled out the purple stone. "Like this one?"

Ava gasped. "Oh my gosh. Yes!" She snatched it and examined it closely. "Yes...this is the purple stone!" She glared at Nigel. "Where did you get this?"

"It actually belonged to a friend of mine. Her name is Maxine. Her grandfather gave it to her."

"And...do you know where her grandpa found it?"

He shrugged. "She did not tell me. But I can ask her."

"No need. I was just curious." She ran her fingers along the stone. "The purple stone has the power of strength. It makes you strong."

"Hmm..." Margie eyed the stone. "...I have a stone that is similar to that one."

Ava glanced up at her. "You do?"

"Yes. I have it right here." The Monster Protector reached into the pocket of her black pants and revealed the red stone. "Here you go. Mr. Hawk gave it to me." She handed it to her.

She took it and examined it. "The red stone. The stone that is responsible for bravery."

Margie leaned forward. "Mr. Hawk said that stone determines who the Monster Protector is. That goes for the Monster Protector's apprentice and the Monster Protector's guardian."

"Yes...this stone is an excellent resource for deciding who should be the protector of good monsters." She clutched the two stones tightly. "This is great...but they are not enough. We need the yellow stone if we want to save Caleb. The yellow stone has the power of healing."

"Yellow stone? I remember a yellow stone." Margie pointed to me and my sister. "I gave it to them because I thought that it was theirs."

Ava turned to me and Gretel. "Do you have the stone on you?"

My twin and I faced each other with worried looks. That is why we messed up.

If you do not remember, Gretel and I lost the yellow stone to Dr. Maxwell. He took it after he tied us up! So we did not have it!

"Actually...we do not," I said sadly.

"Where is it?" Nigel asked.

"Dr. Maxwell...he...stole it from us," my twin sister admitted. "When he captured us..."

Ava let out a sigh of relief. Why? She knew now that we did not have the stone.

"No big deal," Ava said soothingly. "No reason to be sad. No reason to panic."

"So what do we do now?" I asked her.

"Simple. Dr. Maxwell is dead. So break into Zeolex and retrieve the stone."

Pfft! She was out of her mind if she thought that we were going to do that.