Chapter Twenty-Four

Our mouths dropped open. I would not have been surprised if the bottom of our mouths stretched out and fell straight to the floor. It was a shocking moment.

Nigel blinked rapidly. "Your...son?"

Margie breathed heavily. "I am...your daughter?" She clenched her teeth. "No...that is not right! I know my parents. What they look like and what they do. I have a sister! She is my biological sister!"

Mr. Hawk and Mrs. Sanders were not freaking out. Mrs. Sanders got herself to relax and glared at Dr. Maxwell.

"You have no reason to lie to my son," she said. "He is not your son. We were never together."

"You have a daughter," Mr. Hawk added. "But it is not Margie."

Dr. Maxwell chuckled. Those chuckles turned to laughter. He slapped his knee and held his stomach.

"Gotcha!" He forced himself to stop laughing and coughed. "I knew that the kids would fall for my little joke."

Wait...what?

Nigel raised an eyebrow. "Joke?"

"For the record, I am not a kid," Margie mentioned. "I am a teenager."

"And I am in my fifties. But I look young. People say that I am in my twenties or thirties," Dr. Maxwell said. "Anyway, I should probably explain myself."

"Please do," I said. "What the crub is going on? What do you want?"

"I want revenge on my brother. He did something that I despise when we were in our teens."

"What did he do?" Gretel asked.

"That is between me, him...and my new family."

I wrapped my fingers around my chains and gently tugged on them. I really wanted to get free. "New family?"

"Yes. My brother will no longer be a part of my life. He is dead to me. Dead! However..." He gripped the sides of Laura's face. "...Laura...my sweet and precious Laura...you will come with me. You will love me, and we will be a family. Husband and wife."

Mrs. Sanders shook her head violently, trying to get his hands and fingers off of her. "I will never be yours!"

"You will love it. I promise. I even have a daughter that we can take of care." He let go of her face.

"I am a married woman and already have a daughter. Thank you very much!"

"Hmm?" The scientist rubbed his chin. "You...have a daughter?"

"I adopted her recently."

"And...is her name...Karla?"

Gretel and I looked at each other. Nigel and his mom looked in each other's directions.

How did he know that?

"How...how did you know that?" Mrs. Sanders said, looking back at him. "How did you know that her name is Karla?"

"Oh...a certain someone told me."

Her eyes widened. "No...you cannot mean..."

"He told me, Laura. He wants his daughter back."

"Never! She has suffered enough!"

"I am afraid that you do not have a choice."

Dr. Maxwell snapped his fingers, and two people - or should I say, two monsters - teleported into the room. I recognized one of the monsters right off the bat.

"The Creature From Beyond," Gretel whispered to me.

The other monster was all black. It had red eyes and no legs. The tips of his fingers looked sharp, as if they were talons.

"Oberious," Nigel said.

"Yes. It is me," Oberious spoke, staring at Nigel. "King Oberious. The king of the shadows!"

The Creature From Beyond sniffed me and my twin sister and growled.

"This is the Creature From Beyond," Dr. Maxwell introduced him to everyone else, motioning to the creature. "He cannot speak, but he is just as deadly."

Oberious turned to Mrs. Sanders. "Laura. Such a pleasure to see you in the flesh again."

"Why are you with Hugo?!" Mrs. Sanders demanded.

"We are working together. I am helping him, and he is helping me."

"How are you alive?" Nigel wondered. "I destroyed you, your shadows, and your realm with fire!"

"You did. And we would have been reduced to nothing...if it were not for Dr. Maxwell. He saved us and promised that we would be safe as long as we assisted him in his revenge plan."

"Indeed," Dr. Maxwell said, smirking. The Creature From Beyond jumped up and down, and he petted him. "Now, now. We need to start my new family." He pointed at Laura. "Oberious, take her and follow me."

The shadow king nodded and broke her chains with his sharp fingertips. He grabbed her, wrapping his shadowy fingers around her waist, and hoisted her up.

Laura kicked and squirmed. "Let me go!"

"Mom!" Nigel screamed.

"Who will be your daughter?" Oberious asked the scientist.

"You know...I had a daughter. I still have her. She is out there. Somewhere. Her name is Eleanor. That was the name that I gave her. But...I do not want her anymore." He played with one of Margie's braids. "Margie...you will be my daughter."

The Monster Protector gasped. "What?!"

"You will do no such thing."

All of us heard that voice and turned to where it came from. We saw two people. A man and a woman.

"Oh my gosh," Margie said softly. "Dr. O'Connor. Mrs. M."

As if things could not get any crazier, seven more people came. They pushed past the man and woman and entered the room.

"Scarlett!" Margie exclaimed.

"Karla! Damian! Maxine! Shade!" Nigel cried.

"Jack!" Gretel shouted.

"Jill!" I yelled.