Chapter Nineteen

In case that you did not realize, all five of us were panicking. In my whole life, I had never encountered a person who had gotten shot, and I bet that the others had not either.

The scary part was that Caleb was not breathing. Neither his chest nor his stomach was heaving up and down.

"I am calling 911," Nigel informed the group as he took out his cell and began dialing.

"It is no use," Ava replied. She put both of her hands on Caleb's chest and pressed on it. Up and down. "Our 911 is 777, but I know - I know for sure - that the ambulance will not make it in time. Caleb is bleeding severely."

"So what should we do?" Gretel asked. I could easily see the fear in her eyes. "Let him die? 'Cause I am not willing to do that."

"He is not on the verge of dying. But he will be if we wait for an ambulance or do not act fast." She stopped pressing his chest and got back on her feet. She picked...him up...and held him.

Man. She was strong!

"I parked my car on the driveway when I arrived home last night. I will drive us to the hospital. We will make it."

She snatched her car keys and carried Caleb out of the house, and we followed.

We hurried to the car and got in. Nigel and Gretel were in the back once more. This time, however, I was in the passenger seat, and Margie was in the back and next to Caleb. That was because Ava wanted the Monster Protector to do CPR on him. Margie obliged and did the best that she could, trying to keep him alive.

I have to admit. I was impressed with Ava. It did not take long for us to get to the hospital. From what I noticed, the hospital was far, far away from her house. I am guessing about fifteen miles, so it would have taken Ava a while. But she did not let that stop her.

Do you want to know how long it took her?

A minute.

Yes, my fellow readers. She drove that fast and did not get caught by the police.

That is because there are no police officers in Forlot. Why? 'Cause no crime of any kind has been committed for over ten years. Forlot was free of crimes...

...until...yesterday...when the murder occurred.

I thought about the killing of Dr. Maxwell and glanced over at Caleb. Poor guy. To me, he seemed innocent. He was already diagnosed with two disorders. Why did he have to get shot?

Then I thought about the killer. Avery.

What was the connection between Dr. Maxwell and Caleb? Why would Avery want them dead? Maybe...maybe there was no connection. The killer is a psychopath after all.

Ava did not care about finding a parking space or parking in one. She parked by the entrance and hurried out of the car. We dashed out as well and helped Caleb to the hospital.

"Help!" Ava exclaimed. "We need help here!"

We ran into the building and surveyed our surroundings. Gretel and I remembered this place immediately. When our aunt passed out and would not wake up.

Three doctors and two nurses hurried to where we were.

"What is going on here?" one of the nurses asked us.

"My friend." Ava motioned to Caleb. "We all found him shot and bleeding on the floor."

"My goodness," the other nurse said.

The two nurses grabbed ahold of Caleb and set him on a hospital bed that was nearby. They wheeled him away.

"Stay in the waiting room," one of the doctors ordered. "We will do our best to save him."

Ava nodded. "He was shot between the chest and stomach." Tears formed in her eyes. "Please...he is my closest friend."

The three doctors followed the two nurses, and we stayed in the waiting room.

We were all shaking. Catching our breaths. Trying to calm ourselves down.

Ava wiped her tears off. "This is my fault," she said. "I was outside. Behind my house...doing important things...and this..."

"All that we can do now is pray," Gretel commented, trying to reassure her.

Ten minutes - it seemed like an eternity - had gone by before the doctor came to us...and I recognized him. So did my sister.

It was Dr. O'Fallon.

"Hello," he greeted. "I am Dr. O'Fallon."

"Hey, Dr. O'Fallon!" I said, waving to him.

He ignored me and continued what he was going to say. "I am here to tell you that Caleb is not dead...but...he is in critical condition."

Ava was still devastated by the latest news. "No..."

"My workers and I are doing everything that we can to save him. I promise you that."

She sniffed. "Please...he does not deserve to die this like..."

The doctor patted her shoulder. "Just be glad that you got him to the hospital in time. Otherwise..."

"I know, I know. Now please go and save my friend!"

He nodded and left us without saying another word.

"I am sorry, Ava," Margie said. "Even though that you totally stole my sense of style, I am sorry that you and Caleb are going through this. Especially Caleb."

Ava brushed back a strand of her hair. "There is...one way to save him."

"What?" I said. I thought that I misheard her.

"The only way...to save his life...is to have at least three of the eleven stones. Particularly the red, purple, and yellow ones."

That is when I realized...

...Gretel and I messed up.