Chapter Forty-Six

Katrina was in an abandoned building that was not far from the hospital. She was surrounded by red bricks that were stacked on top of each other and acted like walls and a ceiling. The bricks kept out the sunlight. She was happy about that. Nobody could know that she was there.

Katrina was standing in front of one of the brick walls. An old, circular painting was hanging on that wall and made entirely out of glass. It was a picture of a black and purple swirl. That was what she was staring at.

"If only things turned out differently..." she said to herself.

"Then you would not be where you are today."

She let out gasp. She did not say that. But she did not have to guess who did.

Katrina squinted, trying to keep her focus on the painting. "Ava."

"You know me so well." Ava appeared and hurried up to her and the picture. "How long has it been?"

"What do you want, Ava?"

"To talk. And I am curious as to why you are here."

"Just...the usual."

"Are you here...for more power?"

Katrina frowned, but did not look at her. "That is none of your business."

"I am here for more power as well. You will never believe who I ran into. Lean."

"I am not surprised. She sure knows how to get around this town. I also ran into her not too long ago."

"Is that so? Then it is safe to guess that she is not done with us." Ava's hair suddenly danced in the air. "You and I should team up again."

Katrina was quick to deny her. "No. Not after what happened."

"But we need to stop Lean. And we have benefits. We are powerful beings who are naughty and wicked. We could be so much more...if we got rid of Lean. We both hate her. It would be good for us. Good for my boss." Ava placed a hand on the painting. Her eyes changed to purple and black swirls. "Join me again. We need to rule!"

Katrina thought for a minute. Then she placed her hand on the painting, and her eyes changed to purple and black swirls as well. A black and purple aura surrounded them both.

There was no going back now.