Chapter Thirty-Three

"What is this?" the Monster Protector wondered, tracing with her finger along the picture of the cross.

"It is a cross," I answered her.

She glared at me. "I know what it is. I have seen crosses before."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, okay. How was I supposed to know that?"

She glanced back at the drawing. "It symbolizes something. I just do not know what."

"I agree with you, Margie," Nigel piped in. "I believe that it stands for a certain idea. But who drew it and why draw it here? Underground?"

She shrugged. "Beats me. But we should not be concerned about this particular drawing. We should be figuring out a way to escape from here."

I was with her on this one, for she was correct. We should not be focused on the useless drawings. It is not like that they will mean anything in the time to come. We should be getting out of here.

But...how?

"Need I remind you that there are other pictures," Gretel reminded us.

There were three other drawings. They were lined up and awfully close to one another.

Next to the cross was a drawing of a heart. The heart was colored in red, and there was a white line that zigzagged down the middle of it. Two black letters were on the heart. An "M" on the left side. An "A" on the right side. My guess was that it represented a broken heart. Possibly two.

Who had their hearts broken?

Next to the heart was a drawing of a star. The star was colored in a pretty blue. Just like the cross, there were stick people at the tips of the star. The stick person at the top was purple. The two at the sides were white and green. White on the left. Green on the right. The two at the bottom were yellow and orange. Yellow on the left. Orange on the right.

The final drawing that was next to the star was a triangle. The triangle was colored in yellow. On the tips of the triangle were big circles that were colored in. Red on the top. Blue and grey were on the bottom.

I was totally confused. These pictures obviously meant something.

Do any of you readers have one or more theories as to what these drawings could mean?

"Hey, Gretel," I said, putting my finger on the cross. "This purple cross reminds me of your purple cross. The one that Jack gave you."

"Hmm?" My twin sister put a hand in the pocket of her shorts and pulled out her purple cross. Holding it by the string, she dangled it next to the drawing. "They look identical...but there is a difference." She compared the grey circle that was in the middle of the picture and the blue jewel that was in the middle of her cross. "I think that the gray circle is actually a stone. I mean that and my jewel are in the same place."

I gently grabbed her necklace and examined it and the picture closely. "Say...you have something there."

"I wonder if your cross and the drawing are connected," Margie said.

Gretel nodded. "I bet so. I would not be surprised."

"Looks like that we have another mystery to solve," Nigel commented. "That and why we are fictional."

I handed my sister back her necklace. "So what do we do now?"

Gretel glanced at Nigel. "Do you have your phone on you?"

"Yes, but..."

My eyes widened. "What?!"

You should know where this was leading to.

"I have my phone on me," Nigel confessed.

"Did you forget about it or something?!" I snapped.

"No. But—"

"You could have called somebody!"

"I only have my mom's number."

"Then call her!"

"I cannot!"

"Why not?! No service?!"

"...even worse..." He pulled out his cellphone and showed it to us.

And that is when I realized...

...that his phone was broken.

It was completely damaged. The screen had a major crack in it, and the phone itself was bent. It must have broke when we plunged to the dirt ground. I suddenly felt bad for Nigel.

And our one-way ticket was gone in an instant.

"Nigel...I am so sorry," I apologized for my behavior. I was embarrassed that I yelled at him. I just desperately desired to leave that place.

He sighed and threw the cellphone to the other side. It hit the wall and fell to the dirt ground. "What are we going to do now? There seems to be no way out."

"Oh...but there is."

"Huh? Who said that?" I demanded.

All four of us looked around - and we spotted a hole on the wall where Nigel's phone had hit.

The hole was a few inches from the ground and looked to be dug...recently.

That was when we saw a mysterious figure. The figure was in a corner and walked over to the broken phone. It scooped it up and examined it. Then it spoke.

"You need to get a new phone after I get you all out of here."

What?

"Who are you?" I demanded. "You do not sound like anyone that we know."

"Do not worry. You are not supposed to know who I am. That is the real world's fault."

"...what are you talking about?" Margie ordered.

"You are fictional characters. Living in a fictional world. You have been lied to for too long, and I am here to change all that."

The figure stepped out of the shadows. It was an older girl. She had small chunks of dirt on top of her head and on her face. She wore glasses and had on a black, short-sleeved shirt and black shorts. Her hair was short and dark brown.

"Who the heck are you?" I repeated my question.

"I am Ash J. Your writer."