Chapter Forty-Seven

When everybody was alright and being comforted by their family and friends, Lean gripped the strap of her purse and floated out of the room. She had made it down the hall and was about pass through the double doors, when she heard clomping noises. They sounded like feet or shoes that were slapping against the hard floor.

Getting louder and louder. Closer and closer to her.

"Lean!"

Upon hearing her name, Lean spun around and crossed her arms. It was Mr. Hawk. He had chased her.

Mr. Hawk put a hand on his chest and breathed heavily. He was mostly out of breath. "Where...do you think that you are going?"

"That is none of your concern," she snapped.

"I have every right to know. Where are you heading to? And why? Can you not stay with your friends who think of you as your family?"

"Ugh! I have no time for this!"

"Yes, you do." He reached out and grabbed ahold of her ghostly wrist. "We all thought that you were gone! Forever! But you apparently faked your death. And Margie missed you the most. She was feeling guilty because she thought that she took your life!"

She jerked away. "Well, tell her that I do not want her to feel that way. Tell her the truth. That she did not kill me."

"Why can you not tell her yourself?!"

"I have no time for this!"

Just then, an officer from another town was walking by them. He was taking somebody to his police car.

That somebody was Dr. O'Connor in handcuffs.

Lean was a bit surprised to see him. "Dr. O'Connor?"

Dr. O'Connor glared at them. "Ah. Look who is fighting once again. The idiot who prefers monsters so much. And the ghost whose mission will be incomplete."

"Save the insults," Mr. Hawk said. "You are going where you should have gone a long time ago. Jail."

The scientist rolled his eyes. "I am not the one who tried to kill Hugo and shot some guy named Caleb."

Mr. Hawk was a bit confused, but did not let his guard down. "...no. But you have done things that are against the laws of Forlot."

The ghost narrowed her eyebrows and stopped the police officer. "Stand back, sir." The officer was hesitant to do what she said, but he complied, seeing that she was a ghost. She looked at Dr. O'Connor. "Put your hands up. Let me see the handcuffs."

Dr. O'Connor raised an eyebrow. "...what?"

"Just do it."

The scientist did so, showing her the handcuffs. Lean placed her ghostly hand on the chains of the handcuffs, and the handcuffs were unlocked and fell off.

"You are free to go," she said. Then she passed through the double doors and flew away.