Chapter Forty-Four

The reason that I did not mention Nigel's best friend Damian earlier was because he was not in the room with us. In fact, Damian was with Caleb. They were standing out in the hall and by Caleb's room that was not far from our room and talking with each other. They seemed to be hitting it off. For somebody who was paranoid about everyone and everything and had constant panic attacks, Caleb was smiling and laughing. Perhaps Damian understood him and his situation.

I was peering out in the hallway, spying on Damian and Caleb. The yellow auras had disappeared around me, Margie, Nigel, and Gretel, and our strengths and energies returned to our bodies. We felt way better than when we first started this book and even told everyone else that. Mr. Hawk suggested that it would be best if we got out of our hospital beds and moved around.

"It would be good for your legs and the rest of your bodies," he explained. "Stretch as well."

Scarlett and Stanley went over to Margie and helped her to her feet. Then Mrs. Sanders and Maxine helped Nigel out of his bed. Then Dad scooped up both me and my twin and carefully set us down. That was when I rushed to the door and opened it a crack. I poked some of my head out and spotted Caleb and Damian.

"There he is," I informed to the others. "He is talking with Damian and looks...okay."

"Of course, he is okay," Lean reassured us. "I healed him with the yellow stone many chapters ago. It is as if he was never shot in the first place."

"That is a relief." I kept my eyes locked on the two boys. "I am glad that he made it, especially after all the crub that he has gone through. He has an anxiety disorder and personality disorder and has no friends now that Ava is out of the picture."

She nodded. "I know that."

"...that would be because you and Ava know each other."

"Yes. We unfortunately do."

"How?"

Suddenly, there were loud footsteps coming down the other end of the hallway. The opposite side where the boys were. Afraid for my life and alerted, I pulled my head back into the room and immediately shut the door. That was when we heard pounding on the door. It sounded as if a gun was going off every second.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Who was it? And what did he or she want?

"Please! Open up!" a female voice pleaded with us. "I need to see him!"

Him?

"Who are you?" Karla ordered. "Please state your first name and last name for the record."

Her voice grew soft. "I am Cindy. Cindy Banks." I heard her breathing heavily. "I came as soon as I could to see him."

I decided to open the door and saw a girl on the other side. She looked like someone from a Spanish-speaking country. She had black hair that was tied in a ponytail and wore a yellow, short-sleeved shirt, pink pants, and tennis shoes. There was a pink bracelet with a red design wrapped around her right wrist.

"Thank you so much for letting me in," Cindy thanked. She had a Spanish accent. She dashed into our room and looked around. "Where is he?"

"Where is who?" I asked.

"That sweet boy. His name is Caleb Night. He comes to my bookstore every day to see me and even give me a present. He has given me my favorite flowers and a box of candies that are only milk chocolate. When I found out that he was shot and recovering here at the hospital, I took a break from working at my bookstore and ran all the way here. A nurse said that he was in this room."

I shook my head. "His room is a couple of rooms down where we are."

"Gosh. Then I have the wrong room. I am so sorry. I am just really worried about him."

"Calm down," Lean instructed her. "He is fine. He is in the hallway and chatting with one of our friends. I am surprised that you did not see him."

"I am surprised that he did not hear you," I commented. "You practically woke up the whole neighborhood with your yelling and pounding."

"I am sorry. Caleb is my closest friend. It is just...he has been through a ton ever since that he was born. His parents did not want him because they thought that he was a disgrace. They tried taking him to an orphanage - any orphanage - but none of them desired to take him in. So he was left out on the streets to suffer. And it was not long after that he was diagnosed with his disorders." She wiped a tear off of her face. "I would anything to help the poor boy. Like sing to him."

"Sing?" Gretel repeated.

"Oh, yes. He loves when somebody sings to him. It makes him feel better. I am his favorite singer."

"Hmm." Lean snapped her ghostly fingers. "I have an idea."

Cindy squinted at her. "What is your idea?" She glanced at the rest of us. "And why are there monsters? Is this room haunted or something?"

I soon ran out of there and to where Caleb and Damian were. I gently grabbed Damian's arm and whispered in his ear. He grinned at me, and we headed back to the room, leaving Caleb all alone.

I spied on Caleb as everybody else was preparing. Caleb sighed sadly and walked slowly to our room, dragging his feet.

When he entered, he got a lovely surprise.

All of gathered around like a choir would and faced him. Even our writer was there.

Caleb stared in shock as he pushed up his glasses. "What...what is all...this?"

Then we sang.

"Oh,
You are so much more,
Oh,
You are so much more..."