Chapter Twenty-Five

Dr. Maxwell growled and faced our friends. "Get out!" he exclaimed angrily. He was furious. "All of you! Get out!"

"Not without my sister," Scarlett requested.

"Ugh!" He turned to the man who was called Dr. O'Connor. "As for you..."

"Yeah, yeah. You were going to say that I should be gone too," Dr. O'Connor interrupted him.

"Get...out."

"Are you not going to ask me how me and my wife escaped from the mansion?"

"Absolutely not! I do not care about you or your wife! I never have!"

"Well, you should. 'Cause I am here to reclaim my company."

"Forget it! You were captured by my brother!"

"Our brother."

"You stay out of this! Just because your father adopted me and my brother does not mean that you are part of the Maxwell family!"

Scarlett, Karla, Damian, Maxine, Shade, Jack, and Jill hurried over to us.

"Are you guys alright?" Scarlett asked us.

"I think so," Margie replied. "Though, the top of my head hurts. I think that it is because we were knocked out."

"Mine too," my twin and I said in unison.

Nigel was not paying attention to us. His focus was on his mom who remained in the shadow villain's clutches.

"You let her go, you son of a—"

"Whoa," Maxine cut in. She was holding a sword in her hand. "Watch your language. I know that you hold your mother near and dear, but come on. We are in a book for all ages. That includes the kids."

He looked at her, and his cheeks were becoming bright red. "S-sorry."

"It is okay, Nigel," Shade reassured him. "Your mother will be saved." He stepped up to Oberious. "I will save her."

How?! He is a human, and Oberious is a shadow!

But he proved me wrong when he started to change.

Shade spread out his arms and legs, and the skin that was not covered by his clothes changed from pale to purple. From purple to black. The blackness covered his entire body, even his clothes. He shifted a bit, and I noticed his eyes.

They were no longer human eyes. They were...red.

"The heck?!" I said out loud.

"I may be a Nerian," Shade said. "I may be like you..." He pointed a finger at Oberious. "...but I am nothing like you. I have good in me."

"So...I was right," Nigel said. "You are a shadow."

"Yes. But I am good."

"I have no time for this!" Oberious stated as he and Shade attacked.

I looked at Dr. O'Connor and Dr. Maxwell. They were still at it with the arguing. Jack and Jill tugged on my and Gretel's chains.

"So your head hurts, Gretel?" Jack questioned her.

She nodded. "So does Hansel's, Nigel's, and Margie's."

"Jill and I can fix that." He placed a hand on her forehead and kept it there for a couple of seconds. Then he pulled it away. "Better?"

"Goodness...yes."

Jill was about to do the same thing, when the Creature From Beyond scurried over and growled. Jill frowned at him and motioned me to her brother. I became surprised as she pounced on the creature and attacked.

"Wow" was all that I could say. I was impressed.

Jack did what he did to my sister, and my head stopped hurting.

"How did you do that?" I asked. "It is as if you have magic or something."

He chuckled. "You could say that."

He pulled on our chains, and the chains snapped in half. Gretel and I were free!

"Not so fast."

The woman who was called Mrs. M. was in front of us.

"You are not going anywhere," she threatened as she got ahold of Jack's wrist.

"Let him go!" Gretel exclaimed.

"No you do not!" Margie yelled, noticing that Mrs. M. had Jack. "Quick, sis. Get me out of here."

"No!"

Dr. O'Connor pushed Dr. Maxwell and pulled out a gun. He banged on the side of Scarlett's head with his gun, causing her to scream and fall down.

"Scarlett!" Margie cried out.

Dr. O'Connor aimed the gun at Margie's chest. "The Monster Protector needs to die...now."

"No! My daughter!" Dr. Maxwell ran up to him and grabbed the gun. The two of them fought for the gun.

"She is not your daughter! I must kill her!"

"She is perfect to be my daughter! She has the heart! The fury!"

"...fury?" Margie repeated.

I was worried. Scared.

What if the gun went off?

What if the gun went off...and hit one of us? Like me?

"Somebody who is good!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. "Grab that gun!"

But it was too late.

A gunshot was heard...

...and it hit Mr. Hawk.

"Nooooooo!" Dr. Maxwell cried. He then quickly took the gun and shot Dr. O'Connor.