Chapter Forty-Two

——————————————————————————
It was the year 1999, a year after the town of Forlot was established. Forlot was and still is a tremendous landmark because of what happened on that piece of land.

Months before the end of World War II, Forlot was used as a place for recovery for the soldiers and marines who were either laid to rest - that was up to the families - or injured severely. Nobody knows for sure where Forlot is located, but it was and still is in the United States. Forlot was nothing but a huge fort and trench that were both made of dirt and gravel. That is where the word "Forlot" came from. It means "to be a fort." It also derives from the word "fictional."

When it was decided that Forlot should be turned into a small town to honor those who had fallen, the first name suggestion was the term "Fortlot." But it neither seemed correct nor even sounded right. After some debate, the leaders who would be in charge of the town dropped a letter and created the word "Forlot." Then, Forlot was established in 1998.

That is how the town was born.

But enough about that. You readers are here to read about Mr. Hawk's past.

Mr. Hawk, Dr. O'Connor, Dr. Maxwell - we will call them by their first names - and their father were standing outside and staring at a large building that was in front of them.

"What is this place?" Hugo asked.

"Why, this is the company that I am starting up," the father replied. "This will be the future Zeolex. We will help monsters in need." He patted the top of Hugo's head. "And you need to call me your dad. Just like your brother." He smiled at Mitchell.

Mitchell smiled back, and then looked down at the ground. He had his hands behind his back and was shy. He hardly had any friends - actually, none - and was not close to his biological brother. In fact, both of them were not happy. They felt miserable after the incident five months ago.

Their parents passed away due to a car crash. There was no way that the officers or doctors could save their lives. Luckily, Mitchell and Hugo were nowhere near the crash. Their mom and dad kept them at home. But unfortunately for them, they were left without a mom and dad.

They were living at an orphanage until last month. Dr. O'Fallon - you should remember who that is - adopted them. He was Henry's real father and really wanted to adopt someone. You see, his wife left him two months ago, and he desired to fill that gap with children who were just as miserable as he was. Even Henry was devastated that he would never see his mother again. So Dr. O'Fallon adopted Mitchell and Hugo, and they became part of his family. He even let them keep their last name. Hawk. That is what their parents' last name was.

Mitchell was eager to be a part of a family once again. He was overjoyed and promised his new father that he would do anything for him. Hugo, however, was not happy. He did want to be adopted and already hated Dr. O'Fallon and his new brother, Henry. He thought that Dr. O'Fallon was a fool and Henry was annoying.

Dr. O'Fallon was pretty young. He looked to be in his thirties. Henry was the oldest out of the brothers. He was twenty-one. Hugo was twenty. And Mitchell was seventeen at the time.

"Come inside," Dr. O'Fallon said, motioning for the boys to follow him. "I will show you around." He opened the door and walked in. Hugo and Henry followed.

Mitchell was going to follow as well when he suddenly heard a voice. It was soft and...sounded like a child.

"Mister?"

He jumped, surprised by the sweet voice, and looked around. There was nothing but trees...

...and a little girl who was standing out in the opening. She wore a pink, short-sleeved shirt, jeans, and white shoes. Her brown hair was in a ponytail, and she was holding a teddy bear.

"Uh..." Mitchell slowly waved to her. "...hi?"

The girl walked up to him. "Are you my mommy?" she asked. She was so polite.

"Um, no. I am not your mommy or your daddy. Sorry."

"Oh. That is okay. I already have a daddy."

"What is your name? And where did you come from?"

She giggled. "You tell me your name! Then I will tell you mine."

"Okay. I am Mitchell. Mitchell Hawk."

"My name is Jamie. Jamie Tiny." She pointed at the woods. "I live in a house that is not far from here."

"Really?" He glanced at the woods, and then back at her. "Why are you here?"

"I am exploring! But..."

"But what?"

"...Teddy and I are lost." She glared at her teddy bear. "I told you, Teddy, that we made a wrong turn!"

He patted her head. "I can take you back home."

"...you can?"

"It would be my pleasure." He took her hand into his. "Just lead the way."

She smiled and giggled. "Bless your heart!"

The two of them strolled through the woods and chatted. It was not before long that they appeared out of the woods and near a house. But it was not a small house that Mitchell was expecting. It was a mansion.

"Is this the house that you were talking about?" Mitchell asked.

Jamie nodded. "Yes. Thank you for returning me home."

"Jamie!"

Two people scurried up to them. One was a girl who had a mix of yellow and brown hair. She wore a purple, short-sleeved shirt, jeans, and white shoes. The other person was a...puppet?

"Susan! Daddy!" Jamie said.

The puppet tugged Jamie away from Mitchell and growled. "Leave this place at once!" he exclaimed angrily. "I know who you work for! That evil corporation that is Zeolex!"

Jamie was confused. "But daddy...he helped me."
——————————————————————————