Chapter Thirty-Seven

We groaned and faced our bodies towards her. I coughed and grunted. "Ava..."

"A-Ava..." Margie stammered. "...help us...please..."

"Why do you need help?" Ava asked.

"We...are hurt..." Nigel informed her, breathing heavily. "...we were shot..."

I glanced at myself and the others. And terror filled my mind. We had all gotten shot in the stomachs. I looked at my stomach. My hand was covering it. Shaking, I slowly uncovered my injured stomach...

...and small amounts of blood spilled out. There was even blood on my palm. I wanted to scream. I wanted to gag. But I kept those things down and gulped instead.

Who shot us? And why? Was it by accident?

"Hmm." Ava stared at us for what felt like a long time. "So I see. All of you were shot in the middles of your stomachs." She clicked her tongue. "This will never do."

"Are you not going to help us?!" I cried, the pain escalating through my whole body.

"You will help us...right?" Margie said. By the sound of her voice, she was weak, and I was not surprised at all.

She slowly nodded. "Relax. I am keeping calm for you guys. You need to take deep breaths and relax yourselves."

That made sense. So we did what she insisted. We took deep breaths. In and out. In and out. And for those who have anxiety problems, this is good for you.

I closed my eyes and tried to not focus my thoughts on what was happening. That we got shot and were bleeding. After ten seconds, I opened my eyes...

...and noticed the gun that Ava was holding. It was black and a size that a cop would have.

Seeing that gun made me more nervous than I had ever been in my life. Just as bad as the Creature From Beyond.

Ava held up the gun to her face and blew on it. She then wiped it off with the sleeve of her shirt. "Good thing that I have this."

"Ava?" Gretel spoke up. She coughed hard, and I hugged her, concerned about her and her condition. "W-why do you have a gun?"

"Is it not obvious? I was trying to get the perfect shot."

"Perfect...shot?" I repeated. I suddenly feared for the worst. "Did...did you shoot us?"

"Me?" She raised an eyebrow. "Shoot you all? Why would you think that I would injury you? My companions? My friends?"

I frowned. I was frustrated that she was chatting with us and not assisting us.

"Okay. If you did not do this, then who did?!" I exclaimed angrily.

"Who else? Avery."

"You mean...Sarah?" Margie stated.

"No." She aimed the gun in our direction. "Me."

"...what?" I was totally lost on the matter. So were the rest of us.

"Really? You do not get it?" She snickered and snorted. "Wow. You guys are as dumb as you sound."

"W-why did you call us dumb?" Gretel sputtered. "You said that we are your friends."

"My useful friends. Until I would kill you off. Just like what should have happened to Caleb."

"What?!" Nigel exclaimed.

"You heard me correctly. There was no Avery. I was the one who attempted to kill Dr. Maxwell. He will interfere with my plan."

"And just what is that plan?" I asked.

She ignored my question. "But I will end his life. As for Caleb, it was an accident." She burst out laughing. "I am lying! It was no accident. I shot him on purpose. I would have shot him again - in the chest - and he would have died slowly and painfully if you did not come and ruin it all!"

Wind kicked up, causing me, Margie, Hansel, and Gretel to shiver. The wind was making it cold and played with Ava's hair.

Ava clenched her hand that did not have the gun into a tight fist and her teeth. We watched in horror as her red eye flashed before us. Then both of her eyes changed. Changed from human eyes...

...to black and purple swirls.

It was creepy. And horrifying!

An evil grin formed on her face. "It is time," she said. "It is time for you to die." She placed her finger on the trigger of her gun. "You have served your purpose. You found some of the stones and gave them to me. I thank you for that. But you now need to be killed off this series. I will let you have fast deaths. And do not worry. It will only hurt...a lot! Hahaha!"

She was about to pull the trigger. We braced ourselves and got ready to hear yet another gunshot...

"Leave them alone!" someone yelled.

It was Sarah.

She was behind Ava and aiming a gun at her.

"Do not move. Or I will shoot you. And I will not hesitate to do so," Sarah threatened.