Chapter Twenty-One

It was close to the evening. Five o'clock. I found myself trailing behind the others. We were heading to Zeolex.

As much as I did not have a desire to, I went anyway. I had to go. Ava convinced me. So did Margie, Nigel, and Gretel. Except that they were not as nice to me about it as Ava was. And I felt bad for Caleb. Even though that I hardly knew him, from what Ava explained to us when we first met her, Caleb has two disorders that are out of control and taking a toll on his life. His disorders are so bad that he has trouble making friends. He already was suffering. His life could not end by a gunshot wound.

If there was a chance to save him, we would take that chance...

...and sacrifice our lives for his?

I hope that we all live to see another day. To be in another Forlot book.

The four of us were walking in a straight line. Margie was in front. Nigel was behind her. Gretel was behind him. I was behind her. We were in the middle of the street. Yeah, I know. It was stupid for us to be taking our sweet time down a place where oncoming cars and other vehicles could hit - possibly kill - you.

Do not blame me or the others. It was Ava's suggestion.

She informed that there is a long and narrow street that leads to the Zeolex building and reassured us that no vehicles of any type use that road. She said that it was because of the street being a dead end.

"It is such a useless and abandoned street that you could just walk on it," she insisted. "I promise you that no cars or trucks will drive past you or hit you."

I doubted that, but her confidence in that we would return safe and sound and her pleas left me no other choice.

So there we were. Walking. Walking in the middle of the road.

I looked around, my eyes dodging from side to side, trying to spot a vehicle. I was still a bit skeptical on what Ava said and was on full alert. In case that a car or truck would come our way, I would warn the others.

Thankfully - and strangely - we never got hit. No vehicles came down this road.

"Do we know where we are going?" Nigel piped up, breaking the silence.

"I do not know," Margie responded. "I am just doing what Ava told us. Following the road to the end. That is where the building supposedly is."

Gretel looked up at the sky. The sky was slowly changing to dark blue. "Have you noticed that this road takes us out of town?" she pointed out.

"It does not actually lead us out of Forlot," I finally spoke. "Ava mentioned that Zeolex is separated from the rest of the buildings. But it is still located in Forlot."

My twin moved her head up and down. She was nodding. "Agreed. Besides, we would have seen a sign by now that says, "You are exiting Forlot. Thank you for your stay." She pointed at the trees that surrounded us. "But it feels that we are leaving Forlot. See the woods?"

"We see, sis."

No sooner did we reach the end of the road. There was a large building that cut off the road. We looked up at it.

"I assuming that this is the place," Margie said.

There was no sign that claimed that this was Zeolex, but this was a building that was at the end of the street. And Ava said that Zeolex was at the end of the road that we had walked on.

The building was white and reached for the sky, and there were huge chips of a disgusting brown on the front, for the white paint was coming off. In the front also was a dark brown door. No windows were in sight.

It was getting dark outside. The sky was now fully blue.

"We need to hurry and get that stone," Nigel said as we strolled up to the door. "It is getting late."

"How are we going to get in?" Margie wondered.

"Ooh! I know," I said. I pointed at the roof. "Let us climb up to the roof."

Margie turned to me. "Climb up to the roof?"

"Yeah. Like what they do in those action movies. The door is usually locked, so they go to the roof and break in from there."

"But Hansel, this door is unlocked," I heard Gretel say.

I saw her with the door open.

My sister smiled. "We are not like action movies or any kind of fictional subjects. We have our own things."

Smart aleck.

We walked in, and Gretel closed the door behind her. We glanced around.

The floor and walls were both white. There was not much in the room. Leaning against the wall on the right side was a long table that had computers on it. In the middle of the room was a white system that looked to be high-tech. Buttons were glowing, and there were three monitors built into the machine.

I then spotted something on the table.

It was the stone.

"Found it!" I ran up to the table and grabbed it. But then realized...

...that it was not the yellow stone. It was a green one.

"Uh...guys?" Gretel was standing by the machine and pointing at one of the monitors. "Look at this."

Margie, Nigel, and I gathered around her and the machine...and were shocked.

The monitor showed Mr. Hawk and Mrs. Sanders. They were chained to a wall.

Margie gasped. "Mr. Hawk."

"Mom!" Nigel cried.

"How did they get there?" I wondered.

"By me."

We turned to where that voice came from...and saw...

...Dr. Maxwell.

There he was. Alive.

"Yes. It is me."

Before any of us could say something, we were knocked out.