Chapter Forty-Three

"That was the moment that changed my life forever," Mr. Hawk stated. "If Jamie never found me...I would not dare to think of the worst and possible outcome. If I was not kind to Jamie and did not help her in returning her home, I would not be where I am today...and Jamie...the poor girl. She would have been lost for a while and possibly gotten into trouble."

Skippy picked up Tamara and cradled her in his wooden arms. "Jamie is my daughter," he said. "My youngest daughter. Susan is my other daughter who is older. The two of them are biological sisters and used to be orphans until I adopted them."

"And I thought that was a stupid move," Tippy piped up. Tappy frowned at him and nudged him hard against his waist with his elbow. "Ow! What was that for? I was just saying!"

"You may not like it, but I support him all the way," Tappy said. "It was great for him to adopt two used-to-be orphans, and I do not mind that they were human children. It shows you what kind of puppet that Skippy really is."

Skippy's wooden cheeks were turning to a shade of red. "Thank you, father of mine. I am just hoping that I find that special girl who will be their mother." He chuckled softly. "They really want a mother." His chuckles instantly died down, and he sighed again. "But that will never happen if I do not get them back."

Margie raised an eyebrow. "Get them back? Where are they?"

"They...were kidnapped...when the rest of our friends were taken."

Gretel's face saddened. "Oh my gosh."

"Who were they kidnapped by?" I questioned.

The puppet glanced down at the baby that he was holding. Tamara was giggling and grabbed his wooden nose. She cooed excitedly because of her accomplishment and kicked with her little legs. He was going to respond, but Mr. Hawk spoke for him.

"Zeolex. To be more specific, Henry and my brother, Hugo. That was when they had no trouble working together and after my brother changed his last name to Maxwell because he wanted nothing to do with me."

I leaned forward, interested of the story and twists that were coming to life. "Why would he do such a thing? 'Cause he is crazy?"

"Well...that...and the fact that he was - and still is to this day - hungry for power as much as Henry O'Connor was," Mrs. Sanders explained.

Mr. Hawk looked at Nigel. "You and your mom have history between us. When we first met, it was love at first sight."

Mrs. Sanders blushed a little. "It was completely by accident. I was actually supposed to attend a date with his brother that day. I am glad that I fell in love with Mitchell and not Hugo."

Mr. Hawk put his hand over hers and grasped it tightly. "And that is how the feud began. Hugo was already obsessed with her. He wanted her all to himself. He was jealous that I got the girl of his dreams. To him, it was bad enough that I was planning to be the Monster Protector. To protect good monsters against the evil that is in this world."

"We were teenagers. Close to being adults," Mrs. Sanders explained some more. "We thought that it was a wise idea - it actually was not - to at least have a child that was half of me and Mitchell. We thought that Hugo would stop trying to tear us apart due to the fact that we were going to have a child, but I should have known better. Mitchell and I should have known better."

"You are blessed to have a mother like her, Nigel. We waited for a year until the time was right to have a kid of our own. Your mother soon gave birth to not a child...but two children. Two twin boys. And we named them Stanley and Nigel. We were a happy family...until Henry and Hugo found out about you and Stanley and threatened to kill you two if I did not come back to work for Zeolex. You know what I said? I told them no."

Laura scurried over to Nigel and Stanley and hugged them. "We had to separate the family." She teared up. "Mitchell and I...we had to break up and go our separate ways."

"Why did you separate Nigel and Stanley?" I asked.

Laura sniffed. "We had to. Stanley...was born with a strange power that neither of us knew of. So Stanley had to stay with Mitchell, and I took you, Nigel, with me. I drove you to Madison. It was far away from Forlot. That is where I met the man who I always told you was your real father. Richard. I thought that I would never see Mitchell again and decided to move on with my life by being with Richard. But...it did not comfort me." A tear streamed down her cheek. "My gosh...I am sorry that I did not tell you the truth when I had the chance to, Nigel. You must be surprised. Confused. Mad at me."

"Mom...I..." Nigel hugged her. "...I am not mad at you."

She wiped away the runaway tear. "You...you are not?"

"I have no room to be mad at you. I lost you in my life for what seemed like an eternity. Over a year. I am just so happy...relieved...that you are here. With me."

"Oh...Nigel..."

The son and his mom had a hugging fest.

Mr. Hawk went up to Margie and patted her shoulder. "This is why my friends and I did not assist you in the fight with Dr. O'Connor and Mrs. M. I know what it is like to reach potential. I want you to reach your own potential."

Margie slightly smiled. "Thanks."

Then I remembered something. Someone.

"Guys! We forgot Caleb!"