i - Dreams

"It's all these different dreams." The boy said softly, adjusting himself on the couch he had been sitting on for hours.

"Tell me, are you on any new medication?" The woman asked politely.

He scratched his head trying to recall the last pill he had ingested. "No.."

"I understand your parents are deceased." She replied flipping through her notes.

He swallowed hard. "I-"

"If you don't mind, could you please explain to me how that happened? If you know, that is." She interrupted looking up from the papers that made him uncomfortable. He watched as her eyes dug into his. He knew she couldn't wait to hear about all the drama he had been through.

"DARKEN!" Another woman pounced through the therapist's door. It was Ms. Crest. One of Darken's former foster parents.

"It is half past three!" She walked furiously to the boy taking him by the arm.

"I am truly sorry Miss Crest! I had lost track of the time." The therapist got up almost tripping over her chair from her shaking legs.

Crest scoffed. "What nonsense has he told you this time?"

"He is still having the dreams I am afraid." The therapist said hastily trying to study the woman's reaction.

Crest took out twenty dollars. " Take it."

She turned around hastily.

It was evident she was in a hurry but this wasn't the first time she didn't enough money.

The therapist stared at the money and then looked back up again.

"Ma'am, you owe me sixty."

Crest was silent and inhaled. She quickly took the therapist by the hand forcing the money onto her palm. "Take it!"

The therapist was frazzled but not surprised. The family had been going through financial troubles for years. Especially since they had adopted Darken.

"Ma'am I assure you, if you continue to pay me with this money I am afraid that I will not be able to help your son." The therapist said confidently. However, she immediately knew she had made a mistake.

Crest's cheeks started to heat up and turned more red than Darken's hair which the therapist did not know was possible.

"He is not my son." She said with a stern look.

Crest grabbed Darken's wrist and turned away slamming the door behind them. The two walked out of the office to Crest's black mustang car.

"Get in." Crest gestured for him to get into the car. Darken gave her a stare and got in with his arms crossed.

Darken was used to this. Four days a week, two hours a day, he would go to the therapist in hope he would find an answer to the madness inside his brain. He knew whatever visions he was having were not going to get better. They were already getting worse and he could do nothing about it. Perhaps if Crest actually understood what he was experiencing she would be more of a help. Although he had finally been adopted after all those years. Darken still never really felt at home with the woman. The only thing keeping him from running away was her horses.

Darken peered out of the rainy window of the car into the fields. He never learned how to ride. The only horse education he got was how to muck up the stalls.

"HELLO? ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?" Crest slammed on the accelerator.

Darken drew his attention back to Crest who was talking in the car mirror.