iv - The First Ride

Darken was relived to find he had a peaceful sleep. Unfortunately, he was bewildered to find sunlight shining out from his curtains, especially since daylight did not come until 8:00 am.

He slowly lifted himself up from the bed, popped his neck, and looked to the alarm clock on his right. "Oh no." Darken threw his covers off of his bed and threw on a shirt that was from his dirty hamper. He darted down the staircase slipping on a light jacket as he ran.

Dispraised, Darken could see Anne out in his paddock as he continued to run towards her.

When he completely got to her, he leaned over and panted, trying to catch his breath.

Anne stared at him with wide eyes. "Someone slept in."

Darken didn't answer, he was still trying to catch his breath.

"You know, if you aren't serious about this-"

"No,- no I am." Darken put his hand up panting.

Anne waited for him, until her eyes caught notice of Darkens' pants. "Are those..?"

He lifted an eyebrow. "Um, is there a problem?"

"You're wearing shorts." Anne gazed in shock.

"Is that, wrong?"

Anne slowly lifted her head. It felt like the emerald stones in her eyes were piercing through him. Surely Anne wouldn't get mad at him for his outfit?

"How dare you!" Anne shrieked.

Darken jolted, and started to back away. "What?"

"You're wearing shorts, to a riding lesson!" Anne stared at him aghast.

"Too late." Darken responded. "Can we please start the lesson now?"

Anne clenched her fists together, took a heavy sigh and then laced her fingers together.

Calm down Anne. He's never done this before.

"Listen Dark, I-

"Don't call me that."

Anne looked as if she was going to explode at any given moment. "Listen Darken, I understand your new to this whole equestrian thing, but can you please try to use common sense?" Anne pulled her crop out of her boot and crossed her arms.

Darken couldn't help but smile. "Whatever you say princess."

Anne's eyes widened. "Oh no, no. You're not making this a thing." She wavered her crop at him.

Darken grabbed hold of the crop. "Then don't ever call me Dark again."

"Fine!"

"Fine then."

Both of them looked the other way from each other. The tension in the air was undeniable and all Anne wanted to do was smack him in the face so he would take her seriously.

"But just so you know, time is ticking." He whispered into her ear.

Anne darted around. "Got anything else to say?"

His mouth pressed into a hard line but luckily for Anne, he stayed silent.

The two of them began to cool off a bit since the walk to the barn was long. When they reached the front of the barn, Anne ran over to each of the horse's and acknowledged them.

A white flea bitten horse poked his head out of the stall to greet Anne. It immediately caught her first glance because it reminded her of her horse on Jorvik. She slowly approached the animal with her hand out.