xiv - The Flaw in Everett Marshall

Anne lightly tapped her cheek in thought. She continued to process the series of events that had happened yesterday between Darken and Elise. It was an unfortunate scenario, one that obviously showed how connected Darken was to horses.

She continued to nibble on her toast in silence. The thought continuously harassed Anne. How much longer would she have to keep this secret from him?

She was a Soul Rider, subject to the druids, protector of Jorvik, and if necessary, the world.

Various sounds of birds intercepted her ears as she continued to peck at her food. Times like these is where she was grateful that she was on the island. The sounds surrounding her always brought peace wherever she went. It reminded her that when the time was right, she could tell him. He would understand.

Anne gently picked up her glass mug and sipped the hot fluid. She swallowed, leaving a trail of fire down her throat.

The beating against the cabin door caused Anne to jolt, making her spill a mass amount of coffee on her leg.

"Ugh!" She groaned, hastily grabbing a napkin and patting her leg.

Anne carelessly threw the napkin across her desk, jogging to the door. "Justin, I'm going to be ticked if yo-" She stopped her voice when her green eyes intercepted widened blue ones.

It was a boy named Everett. 

The two had been acquaintances ever since the Moorland team had been formed last summer. Both of them were never close, despite them being a year apart. He did make comments now and again, somewhere between flirting or just plain teasing.

"What are you doing here?" She quizzed.

Everett shifted his weight so he was now against the door frame. "I haven't seen you in forever."

Anne tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Y-Yeah, I's been awhile." She cursed mentally at her stutter. "So, um, what's up?

Everett rubbed the back of his neck and smiled warmly at her. "Do you have plans tonight?"

Her eyes widened, her heart falling to the pit of her stomach.  "Why?"

"Well I was thinking about inviting the team to Stablebucks tonight." He finally said.  "It would be a great way for us to get to know each other a lot more."

Anne let out a breath of relief. "Y-Yeah! -Yeah, that sounds great." She succumbed to his request.

Everett chuckled lightly, fully expecting for her lose it. "Were you thinking of something else?"

She nervously smiled. "No, of course not. I plan on being there."

"Great."

"Great!"

Anne gave a light smile and slowly closed the door. A gaze of relief was evident on her face when Linda walked into the room.

She adjusted her glasses so they fit more on her nose. "Who was that?"

There was a pause. Anne took a deep breath. "Everett Marshall."

Linda furrowed her eyebrows together. "What did he want?"

"Asked me if I wanted to go to a get together?" She questioned. "For the team, of course." She quickly made the reason known.

Linda's eyes widened. "So, we're invited?"

Alex came barging in with a piece of toast in hand. "You guys going to a party?" She took a spacious bite.

Linda and Anne met one another's eyes and blinked rapidly.