xxxiii - In Your Soul

Katja attempted to rollover so she could see who had knocked her to the ground. Her eyes widened when she saw who was standing above her.

"Surprised?" Alex smirked.

Katja leaned over and spit on the ground, red fluid escaping her lips. "Not at all." She wiped her mouth with her knuckles, coughing a few times.

Darken immediately caught sight of Anne, rushing over as fast as he could. "Anne!"

Her eyes swelled with tears when she saw her friend rush over. "Dark.." She managed to croak. "You came."

"Y-Yeah.." He knelt down, cupping her cheek. "Are you okay? Are you in any pain?" He asked in deep concern.

She forced a smile, looking at him with glassy eyes. She shook her head.

He nodded, hastily standing back up. "I need to get you back to the Stone Circle." He went around the pole to see where her hands were tethered.

She forced her lips into a straight line. "It's no use. Linda says the ropes are blocked with dark magic." She informed, afraid at how he would react.

Darken swallowed hard as he stared at the ropes wrapped around the girl's wrists. She was right. The ropes had a red glow to them and didn't seem to move as Anne adjusted her hands.

He took in a deep breath before returning to Anne. He knelt down once more. "I'm getting you out of here." He assured softly. "I promise."

Anne bit her lip, forbidding anymore tears to fall down her pale cheeks. "It's okay, Darken."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "W-What?"

A single tear ran down the girl's cheek. "You can leave me here."

"No." He answered stubbornly. His right hand returned to her cheek, his thumb stoking the soft skin. Seeing Anne like this was heart breaking, but there was nothing he could do. It was like she was unfolding before his eyes. She couldn't hold back her vulnerability anymore, and Darken couldn't either. "I- I can't leave you." He choked on his own words. "Your friends, your family.." He began.

She swallowed hard, afraid to state the reality of the situation they were in. "Exactly."

His eyebrow twitched. "I-I don't understand?"

She gave a soft smile. "My friends..my family...they're here." Her voice fell.

His face relaxed, the realization hitting him like a bad fall.

"If they take me, they'll leave the Druids alone...at least for a while." She swallowed her emotions for a moment before continuing. "You guys...you'll be safe." Her lips curved.

Darken was at his breaking point. He wanted to stay strong for Anne but the chain against his throat made it difficult to keep the tears from falling. "Don't say that." He leaned in so he could now see every individual freckle on her cheeks. "Listen closely, Anne."

Her eyes widened.

"You're not staying here." He stated firmly, biting his lip.

Anne could tell he was trying his best to stay his stubborn self, but his quivering lips and glassy eyes made the act hard to believe.

"If you stay, I stay."

Her eyes widened, shaking her head vigorously. "N-No way. You can't." She squeaked.

His thumb continued to stroke her cheek gently, hoping she would find comfort in his tender touch. "This isn't like our old lessons, Anne. You can't tell me what to do." He said in a serious tone.