iii - Anne von Blyssen

"I brought wine." Harkin's smile was radiant as he held up a large bottle. "I know it's a bit much, but, I really wanted to make a good first impression." He slowly handed it to her.

Crest was shaking as her hand intercepted his. "No! I mean-thank you, it means a lot, truly." She gave him a kind smile as she cradled the wine in her arms.

Darken cringed. He couldn't believe what he was witnessing.

"Where is your niece?" Crest asked looking around him.

"Oh! You can't see her?" Harkin looked behind him. "Oh.." He sighed." Dear Anne."

He immediately noticed a turquoise headband that went across the top of her head. Her long blonde hair hung many inches below her shoulders. She had pale, freckled skin, and bright green eyes that matched the color of an emerald. Her lanky arms were laced together in front of her and had an oversized sweatshirt that matched the color of her headband.

"This is my niece, Anne."

Anne looked up at Darken. "H-Hello."

Darken immediately shot his eyes to the carpet, she was very pretty. "Hi." He responded simply.

Crest clasped her hands together and then opened the door a bit wider. "Come in!"

Harkin and Anne slipped through the doorway and made their way to the dinner table where Crest had set up a presentable lasagna. Next to it was a salad and a bundle of breadsticks in a basket.

Harkin rushed over to where Crest was going to sit down in the wooden chair. He gently pulled it out for her to sit.

"Thank you." She said softly easing her way into the chair.

Darken sat across from Anne. He silently stared at her as she got into the chair.

"Hm?" She made eye contact with Darken raising her eyebrows. She thought he had something to say.

Darken's eyes darted to his plate in front of him. "Oh, um- sorry." But what was he sorry for? Staring at Anne? He felt his head grow heavy.

Anne smiled and held out her hand. "Pass the dressing?"

Darken silently reached for the dressing and handed it to her.

Their fingers brushed each other which caused Darken to feel chills climb up his back. He swallowed his nerves.

"Thank you again for inviting us over." Harkin said kindly as he picked up a piece of lettuce with his fork.

"It was my pleasure."

Harkin smiled and nodded. He looked around to find something that could start a conversation. "I see you have horses." Harkin pointed his fork to the outside window, which caused Darken to turn around.

"Um yes, they're actually quite annoying." Crest laughed, like it was a joke.

The table went silent. Apparently, this was the wrong thing to say. You could immediately tell that it offended Anne.

Darken noticed her reaction, and added a comment. "I actually think they're interesting creatures." He said. "What animal on this planet has helped the human race more than a horse?"

Anne's head perked up. He could view a bright smile coming out from her lips. "I agree."

Darken beamed and returned his eyes to his plate. Since when did someone agree with Darken?

"Do you ride?" Anne asked hopefully.

Darkens' hands went still and looked up at her. "I don't."