xxvii - Before It's Too Late

For once, the small town of Valedale wasn't so quiet. There were people chirping rather then birds, horse's heavy breathing replaced the sounds of the wind, and the Druids were finalizing their plan to attack the oil rig.

The equestrian team was ready for the competition that was approaching quickly.

Two days.

The riders tried not to think about it, especially Darken Sands.

Despite the pressure the boy was putting on himself, he was fortunate enough to have Anne and Justin assist him with whatever he needed. Whether it be training, or just good old fashion support, they were there. And to think, after everything they had been through, he would still be here in Valedale.

The thought alone was baffling. The deeper he got into summer, the more he felt like he wasn't going to make it to the time of the competition. It wasn't what he wanted at all. His friends had helped him so much that it would've been a pity if he gave up.

The boy stared at himself in the mirror with his rolled up sleeves. He still had cuts on his skin that were healing from the vicious attack in the Hollow Woods many weeks ago. Though his cuts were almost healed, his thoughts still carried the scar of what happened that night.

After studying them for a while, he rolled his sleeves down, readjusting his shirt in the process.

A knock pounded on the door which cause the boy to jump slightly. He sighed, ruffling his hair to make sure it looked presentable. He then whirled around, and walked to the wooden door. His hand pulled at the knob, opening it.

It was Alex.

"Hey, Alex?"

The girl walked in, shoving him aside before he could say another word.

Darken whirled around frantically. "Hey! You can't come in, it's against code!"

She looked around the room that was filled with various items of clothing, completely ignoring him. She then went to a piece that caught her eye.

It was a black beanie, beautiful to say the least in Alex's eyes. She picked it up, studying it closely. "I'm looking for Justin."

He hastily snatched it from her. "Well maybe you should go to Justin's room." He shoved it in his nightstand cabinet.

She groaned, leaning her head back. "He's not there, genius. Why do you think I came here?"

He furrowed his eyebrows. The girl was starting to worry him. Was something going on that he didn't know about?

"Why are you so eager to find him?" He curiously asked.

Alex looked at him puzzled. "It's this Friday.."

"The competition?"

She then relaxed her facial muscles. A wave of realization suddenly went through her. "Oh, don't tell me you've forgotten."

At this point, the boy was still utterly confused. What else could be happening this Friday?

She lifted an eyebrow. "Come on, Darken!" She started to tap her foot, her patience wearing off.

He bit his lip, he hated when Alex always had to correct him. "I don't know! Geez, is that what you wanted to hear?" He snapped, finally giving up.

She let out a scoff. "The dance!"

"The dance?"

"Yes!" She through her hands up in the air. "The dance, Darken. There's a dance after the competition."