xvii - Lies

Anne was utterly baffled.

She tossed and turned in her bed, unable to fall into her deep slumber that she so hopefully craved. The thought of Darken joining Dark Core was eerie. The boy was kind to her, and trusted everything she had done. It was unimaginable him turning on her.

How would she tell the Druids about Elise and Darken? They were related. Brother and sister, separated at birth from Ophelia. But who was Crimson?

Anne turned on her side, her eyes meeting a clock that read: 2:00 am.

She groaned, causing Alex to perk her head from the bunk. "You're not asleep?"

Anne didn't answer, she just shook her head.

Alex sighed, throwing her covers off of her body. "What did you and Lisa find out?"

So many things, she wanted to tell her. However, she felt the dread of tomorrow looming over her. She didn't want either of them to die. She cared too much.

Alex fell back on her bed from frustration. "Whatever." She mumbled.

She cared too much about him.

***

The next day came more rapidly than Anne could've expected. She was woken by the sound of horse neighs and chatters from other girls. She gradually lifted herself out of bed, rubbing her forehead.

It had all just felt like a dreadful dream. It almost seemed too un realistic that she questioned if it happened at all.

Anne spotted a patch of bright red hair coming toward her. It was Lisa.

She took a sip from her mug before greeting her. "Good Morning."

Anne ran her hand through her hair. "Why are you up so early?"

Lisa lightly chuckled and peered over to the clock.

Anne's eyes widened. "10:30?" She threw her covers off of her in a panic. "Why didn't you come sooner?"

"Elizabeth thought you needed the rest."

"Yeah, well now I'm late for lessons." Anne was rummaging through her clothes.

Lisa took another lengthy sip. "They said we didn't have to attend today."

Anne stopped what she was doing and let out a sigh. "Oh great." She said sarcastically.

"What?"

"Darken saw me last night, he's going to be suspicious."

"Why would he be suspicious?"

"Because I made up an excuse that I was helping Elizabeth set up for today. Then I don't turn up?"

Lisa scrunched her face from the realization. "Oh, yeah."

Anne nodded vigorously, starting to go through her clothes again. It was all coming back to her. The guilt she was facing with not telling Darken his fate was a great burden to carry. "I don't know how I'm going to keep this from him much longer." She mumbled.

Lisa closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath. It was becoming part of her everyday routine now. "You can't Anne. It'll put the Druids and Jorvik in danger."

She whirled around. "So, he doesn't deserve to know he's been lied to his whole life?" She snapped.

"I never sai-"

"But you did, Lisa." She took a beat. "Dark Core wants him and he doesn't even know about it."

Lisa sighed softly. "I know you care for him. But, the Druids know what's best."