xxx - Champions At Heart

Anne nervously twiddled her thumbs. She hoped her refusal didn't cost the team their win.

"I think you did the best you could, Anne." Avalon whispered.

Anne bit her lip, giving him a nod. "I know." She bluffed.

It wasn't what she wanted. Facing defeat was an action that the Von Blyssen family rarely had to take. The fact of the matter was that Anne was the only member on the team that had a refusal, which might of just caused them the competition.

The other teams, Moorland, Firgrove, Silverglade, and Mistfall did better than what the Valedale team expected. This left the team with a bundle of nerves bouncing off the walls in their stomachs. Though the equestrians were practically masters at not showing their nerves, everyone in the arena knew what they were feeling, and would hate to be in their position.

"You did good, Darken." Kora stated simply, keeping her eyes in front of her as the teams lined up.

Darken stared at her for a moment. "Yeah?"

She nodded, slowly turning her head to look at him. "Very impressive for the first time."

He returned a smile. This made him feel much more confident about his performance. He didn't know "impressive for the first time," would be such a massive accomplishment for him to hear.

"I would even say you've secured your spot for next year." Elise added, keeping her eyes on the score board.

Darken's eyes trailed up to the board on the wall.

Elise shifted her gaze back to the blonde that was lined up on the other side if the arena. "Her." She said.

He lifted an eyebrow, realizing she was referring to Anne. "Yeah?"

She turned her head back to meet his eyes. "Not so much."

Kora frowned at the remark. "Stop it, Elise."

Elise snickered.

Darken gulped, looking back at the score board. Anne came in last out of their team. It was astonishing to see her name at the bottom. And as much as he wanted to deny it, Anne most likely didn't secure her spot for next year.

He sighed, turning his attention back to the dark haired woman who was approaching the center of the arena. She carried a stack of papers in her right hand, and a microphone in the other.

"Good Afternoon, everyone." She spoke.

All of the equestrians immediately sat straighter up in their seats.

Justin shot a nervous look at Alex.

Alex glanced over at him for a second and then back at the dark haired woman. "The results were very close." She said. "Coming in fifth.."

All of the students closed their eyes for a moment.

"We have The Silverglade Equestrian Team!"

Anne let out a sigh of relief that could be heard from across the arena.

Darken gave a slight smile. They definitely weren't going to come in last.

"In fourth we have.."

Elizabeth nervously watched as the woman read off the small piece of paper.

"We have The Moorland Equestrian Team!"

"WHAT?" Justin shrieked.

"Sweetie, that's not your team." Elizabeth said in a calm tone.

"I-I know but it's my home."

Alex held in a laugh.

Darken studied the woman reading off the next team. They were coming down to the top three. If they were to make it that far, it would be a massive accomplishment, especially with all the new students Elizabeth had put on the team. No one was expecting them to win, let alone be in the top three.