viii - Red Fire

He couldn't believe it. After several weeks of rigorous training with Anne, he was riding.

For real.

His legs hurt like heck, his eyes stung from dirt being kicked up around him, and Anne yelling in the background could be heard from miles away.

But, he didn't care. He was riding.

"Darken!" Anne waved around her hand to grab the boy's attention.

He shook his head to jog out of his thoughts, then pulling gently back on the reins to stop.

"Keep this up, and they'll have to let you on the team!" Anne clasped her hands together excitingly, as Gage trotted toward her.

Darken's lips curved upward. It felt good to have someone support him. Anne was risking a lot just by helping him, and he wanted to know he appreciated it. "Thank you for doing this." Darken grinned, as he set the reins down on Gage's mane.

Anne sarcastically shrugged her shoulders. "Well, it was the least I could do." She smirked playful.

Darken chuckled and dismounted. "I just can't wait to see Justin's face." He added, pulling the reins off of Gage's head.

Anne gave him a playful shove and looked up at him. "Don't worry about what he thinks."

Darken drove his eyebrows together. He was confused. Didn't Anne want to prove Justin wrong just as much as he did? "Why?"

Anne sighed and crossed her arms. "It doesn't matter. The only people you have to impress are the judges. They decide who makes the team or not." She reminded him.

Darken nodded in agreement. "Yeah I guess so." He then took off his helmet. His hair was plastered to his face from sweat.

Anne's mouth gaped open. "Goodness, you need a shower."

Darken smirked and ran his hand through his hair. "I could get used to this."

"Well obviously you could, as for the rest of us.." Anne raised her eyebrows. She didn't need to finish the sentence.

"Sure you don't want a hug?" He smirked, coming closer to her, his arms growing wide.

Anne shoved him away. Darken laughing as she pushed. "Go!" She huffed, and stormed off to the gate of the fence.

Darken smiled as he watched her go.

Training everyday was a much bigger commitment than what Darken had thought originally. It took a lot of time out of his day, and not to mention Anne's.

He took a deep sigh. What if he was doing this all for nothing? What if he tried out for the team and not even make it? Thoughts swarmed through his head like a plague, ready to take control of his mind.

He swallowed hard. "I can do this." He mumbled, turning his attention to Gage. "You have my back?" He gently grazed his fingers along the horse's neck. He then relaxed his arm to his side. "Let's get you cooled down." He slowly wrapped his fingers around the reins and lead Gage to the stables.

By the time Darken had completely un-tacked Gage and gave her a bath, it was 8:00 pm. Darken turned his attention to the dirty round clock in the barn. He groaned. "Are you kidding me?"

Gage let out a whinny.

Darken shook his head and smiled at the mare. "No, - no it wasn't your fault." He responded in an assuring manner.

He went inside the closet and hung his black helmet carefully on the wall. He let out a loud sigh, and started to make his way back to the house. When he got there, he attempted to open the door with caution, careful to not wake Crest. As his feet traveled up the steps, it sounded like he was aboard an old ship with all the creaks it was making.