xxiv - Past, Present, and Future

Darkness was now beginning to invade the skies of Valedale. Anne Von Blyssen had been in the cabin for a full hour and Elise Nihili was still collapsed on the floor.

Anne eagerly tapped her foot on the floor. Her gaze drifted to large wooden clock sitting above the bed. "Six." She said aloud.

Elise looked like she was in a deep sleep, her eyes completely shut. Her eyelids would twitch now and again, but never did her limbs move from their original position.

Anne couldn't help but allow the same eerie thoughts that invaded her in the stone circle to come to her now. Darken's response was expected, but only Aideen knows what Elise's was going to be. However, her thoughts didn't linger on to long, as they were interrupted by a subtle knock on the door.

She perked her head up, hoping it wasn't one of the other students. "Who is it?" She quizzed.

There was a long pause before a familiar voice broke the silence. "It's me."

She let out a gust of relief, realizing it was Darken. "Come in."

He obeyed and slowly opened the door. He perked his head in first. "Oh, so you did find her?"

Her gaze drifted to the girl on the floor. "Yeah, sorry I didn't tell you." She admitted. "I had to stay here in case she woke up."

He nodded, his eyes drifting to the clock on the wall. He was surprised to find just how much time had passed. However, Anne continued to sit there, completely patient for Elise to wake up.

His gaze drifted back down to the blonde. "It's been an hour."

"These memory shows are like a dream." She explained. "Though the memory might not seem that long, by the time you wake up it could be a full day."

He processed the information for a moment before answering. "But, I didn't take that long. Did I?"

She kept her eyes on Elise, slightly smiling. "You actually took more time."

His eyes grew wide, a worried expression developed on his face. "What?"

Her lips formed a full smile. "Don't worry. Just means you lost track of time."

He nodded, letting out a deep breath. He slipped past the doorway, softly shutting the door behind him. A sound of a hand hitting sheets made the boy whirl around to find Anne patting a spot next to her. He slightly smiled, walking to the bed and seating himself right next to her.

Anne felt the mattress dip for a second before he scooted himself back against the wall. He then slowly closed his eyes, taking in a sigh.

She kept her eyes on Elise, beginning to get lost in her own thoughts. "Do you-, do you think she'll want to help?" She looked back at Darken who still had his eyes closed.

He gradually opened them, fluttering them as they got used to the light once again. He furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't know." He said. "I hope so."

She nodded, forcing her eyes back on the bed. She stared at it for a while, her eyes growing more wet by the second. Her vision began to become hazy and her fingers started to tremble. She was used to carrying the burden of Dark Core. The secret that the Druids and her fellow Soul Riders only knew. (Aside from Justin Moorland.) She felt ashamed for revealing her true feelings about the situation. Not to mention, feeling incredibly emotional and having the pressure of saving the island wasn't making her feel any better.  She turned her head away from him, hoping he wouldn't see her sudden reveal.

However, Darken was paying much too close attention to not notice. "Anne?" He asked, deeply concerned for her. "Are you okay?"

She quickly wiped her tears away with her hand harshly. She let out a slight chuckle from frustration.  "No."