Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Rebirth?

Dongfang Ru Huo opened her eyes expecting to see Old Lady Meng*, but instead, found herself in a room a similar fashion to the room she used in her days as Eldest Young Miss of the Prime Minister's Fu**.

(* = Meng Po, The goddess of forgetfulness. Legend has it that before the souls of the people who died reincarnate, they drink her tea/soup and they forget all memories of their past life.)

(** = Fu, Means residence)

Ru Huo sighed, regretting how harshly she treated her father and grandmother. After her mother Dongfang Furen's* death, her father's concubine Li Yue Xu Yiniang** had comforted her greatly, leading Ru Huo to believe Li Yue Xu had actually cared about her. Because of this, Ru Huo had recommended Li Yue Xu to her father, hoping for him to reward her. But because Prime Minister Tian Qing wanted to preserve the place of his childhood sweet-heart Song Xue Yu, he only handed Yue Xu the power over Prime Minister Fu's inner residence. This alone gave Yue Xu enough power to do anything a Furen could do. The only thing she didn't have was the title of Furen. 

(* = Furen, What they called the Madame or female owner of a Fu.)

(** = Yiniang, basically concubine.)

Yue Xu abused her new found power and everyone treated her as their new Furen. Her daughter, Dongfang Wou You was haughty and was overpowering. Wou You abused servants and treated them in the worst fashions because of the slight mistake such as the tea being too cold or not putting the right hairpin when doing her hair. 

After a while, Yue Xu showed her true colors and threw Ru Huo out of the fancy and luxurious lifestyle, making her believe that Zi Feng, her crush, loved a simpler and humble girl. With this, even though Tian Qing tried to convince her out of it, Yue Xu easily threw Ru Huo out of her previously luxurious lifestyle. She was left with only her three most trusted maids. An Er, Ling Ran and Wang mama. Her Oblivious Dream residence was decorated plainly, and lacked the comfort and fanciness that Yue Xu and Wou You possessed. Even then, Zi Feng ask Wou You for her hand in marriage at the end. 

Back then, Gu Mo Zhen had asked for her hand in marriage when he was crown prince. He had even come personally with 520* chests of betrothal** and 1314*** lilies****. He knelt to the Prime Minister and asked for her hand in marriage. At first, she had ran out because of the news someone had come for her hand in marriage but was disappointed when she saw it was Gu Mo Zhen. Ru Huo was hoping her father would say no but he had agreed to set an auspicious date***** for the marriage. 

(* = 520, the number means 'I love you' in china. Also. Random fact. When you do rock, paper, scissors, with maybe ur crush or love, try doing paper, scissors, rock. It looks like 5, 2, 0 a subtle way of saying 'I love you'.)

(** = Betrothal, is kind of like a bride price? The husband's side brings it over to present it to the wife's side of the family.)

(***= 1314, for forever)

(**** = Lilies, and good to give to a woman/girl on/for her wedding or birthday in china.)

(***** = Auspicious Date, is like a "Favourable date". Usually they pick an auspicious date for the girl and boy to have a happy marriage.)

Furious, she had ignored, abused and hated her husband, which, led to her early death. 

Dongfang Ru Huo moved slightly and the blankets made a slight shuffling noise. She nearly screamed when she heard a familiar voice; An Er's voice. An Er was her personal maid and she had trusted her very much during her life. Now that Ru Huo thought about it, she figured Yue Xue and Wou You had killed her to try to cut off one of her wings. 

"Xiaojie*? Xiaojie? Are you awake? May I come in?" 

(*= Miss)

Ru Huo nodded until she realized An Er couldn't see her nod and spoke in a slightly raspy voice, 

"En." 

The door opened and a cute girl came in. She had a light wrinkle between her eyebrows as she frowned. 

"Xiaojie. How could xiaojie do it? Didn't nubi tell miss? Xiaojie shouldn't listen to Li Yiniang. She doesn't mean good will but how could miss head outside of the Fu without telling laoye*? Does xiaojie know what happened? Laoye barely managed to save xiaojie before xiaojie's innocence may have been tainted. Laoye was angry and ordered nubi to bring miss after miss woke up."

(* = Laoye, means husband or master)