Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Banquet 

An Xiaojie decided to ride Dongfang Fu's carriage back and the two girls immediately headed to Ru Huo's Flowering Lily Pavilion. True to its name, many lilies had found home in the man made pond by the entrance, as well as in the back garden and by the halls and rooms. Though all the lilies could not be used, many were put in the other ponds that were built everywhere around the residence, put in vases all over the yuan*, made into accessories and woven into dresses. They were so wasteful, that they even made the curtains in the receiving hall out of the rare flowers. An Xiaojie had been living in luxury all her life but had never seen such extravagance as in Dongfang Ru Huo's living quarters.

(*= Residence/Courtyard)

"An Er bring lily tea and pastries for An Xiaojie." Ru Huo ordered very casually, as if making tea with such expensive flowers was an everyday occurrence and as a matter of fact, it was. The left over lilies were put into storage and a small quantity of it was used to make pastries and tea for Ru Huo. The flavour was light, not something that would come out of a regular plant, which Ru Huo enjoyed very much. On the surface this seemed to simply be a peaceful time to enjoy a pleasant friendship and maybe even be an opportunity to build a relationship. However, both xiaojie knew it wasn't as simple as it seemed. Ru Huo serving such expensive tea was to let An Xiaojie be reassured that she is living save and luxuriously in her fu.

"Our An Fu also has good tea, would Huo want some?" Since they were in the home of snakes and scorpions* and walls had ears** An Xiaojie's every word and action hid a meaning. By addressing Ru Huo as 'Huo', it would be letting others know not to slight her, as An Manor was behind her. 'Good tea' meant support and resources in either people or money.

(*= Basically saying everyone is fake and dangerous)

(**= Anyone could hear even in privacy)

"Does Wu jiejie have green tea? I heard it is strong in taste but hard to find." Do you have any money? I haven't found any for myself.

"Of course! We have a lot for Huo meimei! When do you want it?" An Manor has lots, when should I send it over?

"At any time during the week! I have been having a shortage of tea lately as I'm very thirsty." I need them quick. I don't have much money.

"How much tea do you want?" How much money do you need?

"A few boxes will do! I will bring my gold box over to store them. I don't want to pressure jiejie, is that okay?" A few chests of gold. Is that too much?

"Not at all! Come visit An Manor anytime around next week then! Muqin misses you and you could collect your tea then! Remember to bring some black tea in exchange!" It's not too much! Come to An Manor to bring out as much as you need. Mother wants to see if you are alright and let you see your shu xiaojie that we brought to An Manor. Bring some hidden guards to bring the chests out discreetly.

Soon after, the two xiaojie's were found in Light Pond Pavillion, where Ru Huo was browsing through the countless dresses displayed and hung.

"It is better for Huo mei mei to wear an eye catching dress today. Many will try to come in as second and third wife or concubine ah. Especially since, after Zhen gege becomes Emperor, the concubines will be Noble Consorts. Better to outshine those flies than to keep low and avoid clash." Ru Huo nodded. That was reasonable. In her past life, even though her husband pampered and loved her, he still took in many concubines and had second and third wives. After all, it was not abnormal for men to have three wives and four concubines. Especially as a wangye and later the Emperor. Having many woman was considered normal.