Chapter 24

Chapter 24: To Build Relationships...

A simple yet elegant carriage moved away from the Prime Minister's Mansion, rocking slightly. It steadily made its way toward the streets and everyone moved out of the way upon seeing the emblem of the royal family at the side of the carriage. The carriage stopped in front of a well kept restaurant and a young girl got off elegantly. The guniang entered the store and her two maidservants stopped at the door. Although the restaurant was well off, it didn't seem luxurious enough for such a distinguished figure to dine at.

Once Ru Huo entered, a middle aged man looked at her reverently and bowed.

"It is an honor to serve Chang Le Gongzhu!" Ru Huo nodded and let him stand up.

"Please lead me to a private room." The man seemed to understand at once and approached a hidden door at the bottom of the stairs. It opened up without a noise and a dark hallway was revealed. The long hallway was illuminated with a few lanterns here and there. Once Ru Huo entered, the man bowed and closed the door. Ru Huo looked around but quickly made her way down the hall. A beaded curtain covered the interior of a room and a bright glow drew Ru Huo in.

Ru Huo moved the beaded curtain aside and bowed when she saw a guniang her age sitting inside.

The guniang immediately returned her bow and assisted her in sitting down. The guniang was wearing a yellow hanfu layered with midnight blue and white silk. Her hanfu seemed to emit light and half of her hair was pulled into a braided bun. The knot was decorated with a shining jade buyao. Her face, although delicate and beautiful, was cold and indifferent.

"It is an honor to be graced by Chang Le Gongzhu!" Her words were crisp and straight forward, unlike the guniangs who spoke with a hundred traps and a thousand twists in their words. Ru Huo reciprocated her respect and looked at her directly while greeting her back.

"It is an honor to meet Que Bai Gongzhu." Chen Qing Qing who was sizing Ru Huo up similarly was secretly astonished. This woman was calm and stable, cold and indifferent yet welcoming and polite. Her words were straight forward yet cautioned others to be careful. Although beautiful, her countenance would make it difficult for men to make lewd advances. In the face of the woman who stole her position away, no hate was detected and her emotions were stable without a ripple of discomfort. Rather, even drinking tea seemed elegant and naturally superior.

"It comes as a shock that Chang Le Gongzhu is able to trust bengong enough to drink the tea." Ru Huo looked up and showed a slight smile.

"Que Bai Gongzhu jests. Que Bai Gongzhu would never risk offending bengong for an irrelevant insecurity." Chen Qing Qing's eyes widened. This was true. Although by attaining the position of Wangfei she would not easily be threatened, she would never risk offending this woman just for an unavoidable insecurity. Seeing that Ru Huo was able to figure this out so quickly, Chen Qing Qing was suddenly overwhelmed with respect. Never had she ever felt this much respect for the scheming women inside the harem no matter how elaborate their schemes were.

"Chang Le Gongzhu is indeed insightful. Qing Qing respects you." Ru Huo smiled when she sensed Chen Qing Qing's request to be friends.

"Que Bai Gongzhu is too kind. Ru Huo cannot compare to gongzhu." Chen Qing Qing showed a satisfied smile once she sensed Ru Huo's unsaid implications.

"Then I will call you Huo'er." Ru Huo nodded and poured tea for Chen Qing Qing before she refilled her own cup.

"I have long heard of the prestige of Chang Le Gongzhu. It seems like it is true. It is truly my blessing to have such a figure as my friend and ally." Ru Huo smiled.