Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Twist of Fate

"Li Yue Xu, I will adapt your daughter. Dongfang Wou You, from now on, you can be my, Tong Shu Mi's daughter." Wou You looked up at Tong Yiniang in shock but her eyes filled up with glee when Dongfang Tian Qing came up behind Tong Yiniang and while taking her into his arms carefully, announced, "Dongfang Wou You, greet your yi mu*." Wou You turned around to face Tong Yiniang and carefully arranged her hair ornaments and smoothed out the creases in her dress before curtsying gracefully in front of Tong Yiniang. "Yi mu, please accept You'er's bow." Tong Shu Mi nodded before saying, "Rise."

(* = adopted mother)

Li Yiniang laid in shock on her bed. Why did her beloved husband hug Tong b*tch so carefully and with so much love? Why was her precious daughter she had brought up handed over to Tong b*tch? Why?

Tong Yiniang then turned to Li Yiniang in her bed. "Li Yue Xu, one day, you will regret throwing out You'er in such a fashion." Tong Yiniang turned to Dongfang Tian Qing and nodded before the pair walked away chatting in an amiable atmosphere.

"Er mei, shall we?" Ru Huo looked towards Wou You before lending her a hand. Wou You took one glace at her birth mother before turning and taking Ru Huo's hand. As everyone walked out of the cold room, Li Yue Xu felt sorrow wash over her. She had lost her daughter, her husband, her position, her money...she had lost everything except for her son. Yet, her son, the son she cared for and loved so much was a carefree soul, wandering around and refusing to take on such a role as laoye or Prime Minister. Li Yue Xu, for the first time in ten years, felt tears falling from her eyes drop by drop, hot water dripping out of her eyes, searing her cheeks and each sliding drop of water representing everything she had lost. Her shoulders started shaking and sobs of grief came out, slowly, she turned around and buried her face into her pillow, unwilling to let anymore noises of defeat out.

"You'er, come to yi mu's Peaceful River Pavilion to talk quickly." Wou You showed a nervous smile to Ru Huo before stepping half a pace behind Tong Yiniang.

"Mi'er I will visit you tonight." Dongfang Tian Qing showed her a small smile before walking away in the direction of the ancestral hall. Looking at Wou You following obediently behind Tong Yiniang, Ru Huo nodded in approval before walking to her Flowering Lily Pavilion.

"Xiaojie, isn't it very disadvantageous for that Tong Yiniang to adapt Er Xiaojie? Tong Yiniang may let the power go to her head and abuse it. After all, laoye favors her and she now has a son and a daughter." Wang Mama stepped up beside her to share her opinion quietly with anxiety. This situation was indeed in favor of Tong Yiniang, her xiaojie had suffered a loss.

"Wang mama must not say such things in the future, walls have ears and it is indeed fortunate that er mei has found a better muqin." Wang Mama stepped back mumbling an apology.

<><><>

"You must know You'er, I will not tolerate disobedience. Unlike Li Yiniang, I have no intention of climbing up nor overthrowing the di children. You must get this into your head. It is natural that di children are of higher and more respected birth it is natural that laoye favors them more. However, our laoye is wise and kind. You'er, respect your fuqin, da jie and yi mu. In turn, we will find you a good match. Your yi mu is fair. Be obedient and respectful and yi mu will be generous. Understood?" Tong Yiniang's expression was serious while looking down at Wou You kneeling in front of her while holding her cup of tea. She had no intention of abusing the favor laoye and da xiaojie gave her nor abusing the daughter of Li Yiniang. Actually, Wou You was pitiful also, her birth mother only used her for her benefits. No one would want such a mother.