Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Downfall of a women

Hearing noise, Chen Wu Luan looked at the ground only to see a white dress in front of her, not the black boots she was anticipating. Chen Wu Luan looked up immediately but through the pink veil, she could only make out three figures. Ru Huo lifted the veil slightly and smiled at Chen Wu Luan. Looking at the beautiful face in front of her with shock, Chen Wu Luan retreated backward causing her veil to come off completely. Ru Huo looked at the veil in her hands before throwing it aside without a second thought. Chen Wu Luan's face flushed with anger. The veil was supposed to be removed by the groom to signify that they would take care of each other for the rest of their lives, yet was thrown off by Ru Huo.

Chen Wu Luan looked behind Ru Huo to see the other two gongzhu and her eyes watered immediately.

"Ru Huo! Why would you do this to me? What have I done to you? What makes it fair that I bear such injustice? I know that you are jealous because I was able to marry in and you couldn't but that doesn't mean you could prance around with such audacity, especially under the power of the two gongzhu!" Ru Huo's smile grew colder yet bigger. The two gongzhu furrowed their brows before taking a seat to watch the show.

Chen Wu Luan's eyes moved toward the two gongzhu only to see them casually pouring each other tea, showing no attention to her pity show. Ru Huo stared at Chen Wu Luan with a sarcastic smile on her face and sat beside her on the bed. As Chen Wu Luan looked at the glacier abysses that were Ru Huo's eyes, she unconsciously shivered and retreated, scrambling away from Ru Huo.

Seeing this scene, Gu Mo Li laughed. "Aiya! It seems like the new ce fei is scared of you, Huo mei mei!" At her ridiculing words, even Gu Wan Rui showed a smile. Ru Huo slowly extended her hand and thinking she was about to slap her, Chen Wu Luan covered her face with her hands, only to perceive a light patting on her head.

"Why so scared, ah! Does bengong scare you? Ce fei, I will remind you once and only once. As much as you are a ce fei, bengong is a first rank gongzhu with a title. This means bengong does not need to rely on a man for my livelihood. Even if bengong gets married, bengong still has a higher status than you. This status of first rank gongzhu never goes away. Yes, lets say you become favored and when Zhen gege enters the palace as Emperor, he alleviates you to Gui Fei, Xian Fei, De fei or Shu Fei. Even if you take the place of a consort, bengong is still higher than you. The Empress will become Empress Dowager and you must know she favors bengong as her own daughter. Who do you think she will take the side of, bengong or a concubine of her son? Pah! When Zhen gege enters as Emperor, us three gongzhu will be elevated. Tan Ling gongzhu jiejie will become Eldest Junzhu*, Pin Yang gongzhu jiejie will become Noble Junzhu and bengong will become Benevolent Junzhu. Do you understand? You are a mere concubine no matter how high you climb." Chen Wu Luan froze at Ru Huo's blatant and straight forward words.

(* = Junzhu also refers to a princess but the way I am differentiating all the titles for princess such a gongzhu, junzhu and xianzhu is to use gongzhu as daughter of emperor, junzhu as sister of the emperor and xianzhu as daughter of a junzhu.

Side note is that Eldest Junzhu is granted since she is the oldest, Noble Junzhu since she is the blood sibling and Benevolent Junzhu since when the Emperor titled her, she was said to be elegant and gracious)

"Ru Huo mei mei must wrap it up, the womenfolk will be nearing soon." Hearing those words, Ru Huo smiled again and stood up. To others, this smile was warm like the sun on a clear day but for Chen Wu Luan, it seemed like she was stranded in a dark and cold forest on a winter day.

Ru Huo took out a small bottle out of her waist pocket and set it on the table. Chen Wu Luan looked on in confusion and seeing her inquiring gaze, Ru Huo smiled even wider. She gracefully poured out tea in four different cups and on the final cup, she emptied the contents of the bottle. She tucked the bottle under the bed and smiled provokingly. Then, she picked up the pink veil and put it on Chen Wu Luan's head carefully.