Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Pitiful Da Xiaojie

Back at Fragrant Lily Pavilion*, Ru Huo looked down condescendingly on the two Yiniang kneeling down in front of her while An Er peeled her fresh grapes the Crown Prince had sent. They really were top tier, big, juicy and sweet. 

(*= Ru Huo's new courtyard)

Dongfang Tian Qing had 1 Furen, 3 yiniangs, 4 sons, and 4 daughters as fitting for a man his position and age.

His first wife and Furen, Song Xue Yu gave him two daughters and a son. The Eldest Daughter, Dongfang Ru Hou and the fourth xiaojie, Dongfang Ru Xia. Their son was the eldest out of all his sons and was named Dongfang Xuan Xi. His wife had died when she was giving birth to Ru Xia out of difficult childbirth. 

His first yiniang was Li Yue Xu. She gave him Dongfang Wou You, the second miss, and Dongfang Feng Xi, the second son. She had taken over after Dongfang Furen's death. 

The second yiniang also came the same year as Li Yue Xu but a few months later than Li Yiniang. She came from a lower minister family, and was named Han Ru Wan. There was not much about her that Ru Huo knew, as she was timid, and stayed at her own pavilion most of the time and did not get into any clashes with the other Yiniangs. Her daughter Dongfang Wou Bai was also not very memorable, just that she was the third miss. She had become pregnant again, that time, with the third son, Dongfang Feng Yu. Han Ru Wan had not conceived again due to the abuse from Li Yue Xu after the birth of Dongfang Feng Yu. 

Tong Shu Mi was the third yiniang who became a yiniang after being taken in by Song Xue Yu and now had a son. He was called Dongfang Feng Qing but under Li Yiniang's tyranny, the small boy was malnourished, and Tong Shu Mi barely had any energy to even move anymore. 

When the inner fu was under Dongfang Furen's control, it was quiet and harmonized but the moment she had died and Li Yiniang had taken over, the inner fu began to go in a turmoil. 

Now, Li Yiniang was put in the woodshed*,  and thus, could not attend. The choice was between Tong Shu Mi, who her mother saved and put great trust in, or Han Ru Wan, who was quiet and timid. 

(*= Kinda like a place outside the courtyards made of wood and usually, servants are put in it when they are going to be punished.)

"Han Yiniang, Do you want to manage the household?" Ru Huo was in no rush and drawled out. 

"I rely on Di Miss's judgement! However, if Di Miss assigns this servant, I will work my hardest!" Although those were her words, the eyes of Han Yiniang held defiance and unwillingness. 

"What about you, Tong Yiniang?"

"Whatever Di Miss says is best!" Tong Yiniang certainly held an unyielding character, and was stubborn, all while showing respect to Ru Huo. 

"Alright, I shall think about it and inform you tomorrow, come back in the morning."

The Yiniangs bowed down once more, and quietly retreated with their maidservants. 

"Let's go dress up again, then go to father!" Ru Huo was currently only dressed in household clothes that were plain, not fitting for going outside. 

After, Ru Huo was wearing a layered purple dress with a fox fur lined coat. Her hair was done up simply in a half up bun that had a lily and butterfly pin and wrapped with a purple ribbon. Purple shoes were embroidered with flowers and butterflies. 

( ^ Her dress is shown above!)

Her face was lightly dusted with white pearl powder, cheeks with rouge. Her lips were tinted red and eyebrows drawn by An Er. With the high quality clothes and makeup, she had noble and proud bearing making people immediately realize she was a prestigious Miss from a good household.