Chapter 23

Chapter 23: A Motherly Figure

Ru Huo smiled as she saw Wou You approach her in a bright and vigorous manner. Ru Huo wore an orange hanfu with small flowers embroidered around the edges. Her dress was white and half her hair was pulled up to form a bun. The bun itself was decorated with jade flower pendants and she was followed by two lines of second rank maidservants.

Wou You immediately held onto Ru Huo's hand and Ru Huo smiled helplessly while Wou You swung her arm childishly. However, her eyes held a pampering gaze as she laughed and continued on.

Wou You wore a pink hanfu with no particular designs although the hanfu itself was made of high quality silk. Her hair was pulled into a bun with a hairstick and was decorated with a small flower. The sorrow and anger from earlier seemed to be gone as her eyes curved into crescent moons and her cheeks became rosy. However, Ru Huo could see beneath the facade, she was still exhausted, angered and sad.

When Ru Huo and Wou You entered Peaceful River Pavilion, Dongfang Tian Qing was already accompanying Tong Yiniang. The two adults were sitting beneath a tree, protected by the shade it offered while they played Go. As Dongfang Tian Qing placed another white stone down, Tong Yiniang's face turned even more helpless and Dongfang Tian Qing let out a loud laugh as he took a pastry from the side. Tong Yiniang looked up and upon seeing the sisters, immediately hurried over as if running from a scary monster. Ru Huo looked down at the arrangement and interlock of stones before she took a black stone and placed it down easily without hesitation. Dongfang Tian Qing's laugh stopped immediately as he looked at the reversed situation with wide eyes. He directed his gaze at Ru Huo who was already chatting with Tong Yiniang who was begging her to teach her some Go.

Dongfang Tian Qing glared at Ru Huo and swatted at her.

"You! You ignorant little girl! You dared to ruin my arrangement! See how I punish you now!" Ru Huo looked at the swatting hands before she ran away giggling. Dongfang Tian Qing now stood up and chased her around the courtyard for a while before he was out of breath from running. Tong Yiniang and Wou You sat back and observed this heart warming scene before ushering Dongfang Tian Qing into the dining hall.

As soon as they sat down, the yahuans brought in the food and Ru Huo licked her lips as she stared at the sweet and sour pork. Tong Yiniang let out a laugh and quickly moved a pork chop onto Ru Huo's bowl of rice and gave her a motherly smile. Seeing Tong Yiniang give Ru Huo food first, Wou You pouted and acted coy, pulling on Tong Yiniang's arm and sneaking glances at the bok choy. Tong Yiniang let out another laugh and flicked Wou You's forehead while reprimanding her but still put a bok choy on her rice. Now, Dongfang Tian Qing looked at Tong Yiniang, expecting her to put a piece of meat on his rice but Tong Yiniang merely carried on with her meal. Ru Huo and Wou You laughed upon seeing Dongfang Tian Qing's disappointed face. The family of four merrily finished their meal and moved into the inner chamber.

Tong Yiniang took up the lounge chair and began to embroider while Dongfang Tian Qing and Ru Huo started a Go match. Wou You looked at the Go arrangement in confusion but kept quiet upon seeing the concentration on both faces. Finally, Ru Huo smiled as she placed a black stone at the corner of the board indicating she won. Dongfang Tian Qing's face morphed into shock but he let out a merry laugh and patted her head to show that he was impressed.

However, Ru Huo's face remained serious. Wou You and Tong Yiniang tensed up upon realizing what she was going to do.

"Fuqin, Ru Huo has a matter to discuss." In his happiness, Dongfang Tian Qing indicated to her to continue without hesitation.

"Huo'er would like to elevate Tong Yiniang to Furen, don't know if fuqin would be against it." When he heard Ru Huo's words, Dongfang Tian Qing's smile froze and he looked at Tong Yiniang in shock.