Chapter 4

The rest of the day went on like normal. Jace wasn't in my 6th hour but he was in my 7th. We didn't sit near each other cause the teacher made him sit next to Vanessa. Yes she's in my class. I don't talk to her though. I never do. I don't really care. Moving on...

Emily and Abigail both walked with me to my sister's bakery. There were quite a few people there. Mia noticed me and looked confused.

"Heyyyy big sis. How are ya? Everything going good?" I suck at playing things off cool. But I need to get straight to the point.

"What are you doing here Jade? You're not supposed to be working till Friday."

"Well..." Before I got to say what I needed to say, Abigail said it for me.

"Derek wanted to hang out with Jade after school so me and Emily told him she was busy helping you."

"And he's probably gonna be here in a few to see if she's actually here." Emily finished what Abigail said. I looked at Mia with a nervous smile hoping she would help me. If she does there's a high chance I'll have to do something extra for her.

"Alright fine. But can you help the rest of the week as well?" Mia agreed. I'm actually happy that she did. The food and cakes here are amazing so hopefully she'll let me have some during a lunch break. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"Thanks Mia. You're the best."

"You didn't answer my question." I let go of May and she looked at me crossing her arms.

"Sorry what was it?"

"Will you help the rest of the week?"

"Oh. Umm ya sure why not."

"Thank you. Now go put your work clothes on. Girls would you like anything."

"Hot cocoa." Emily and Abigail said at the same time. I went to the back and changed out of my normal clothes into my work clothes. Yes I know I don't exactly work here but in a sense I do. So do not question it.

When I went back up to the front, Emily and Abigail were already sitting at a table. And a few seconds later, guess who came through the door. Derek. He saw me and walked up to the counter. He sat down and looked at me smiling.

"You weren't lying." Was all he said.

"My friends don't lie. And neither do I. Is there anything you would like?" I tried to only talk about what he wanted so I could give it to him and walk away. You're probably thinking, 'just tell him you're not interested in him anymore.' Here's the thing... I don't know if he actually thinks I still like him. Plus, he might just only try befriending me again since we kind of stopped being friends(ish) when he got a girlfriend.

A cinnamon roll and hot chocolate sounds fine." I wrote down what he wanted and set it on a counter in the kitchen. The baker looked at it and quickly set a hot cinnamon roll with steam coming off of it onto a plate and poured hot chocolate into a small tea like cup. He then set them both on a tray and handed it me. I went back to Derek and set the tray down in front of him.

"Thanks sweetheart." I just rolled my eyes and walked away. Derek eventually leaves and the rest of the day goes by pretty quick. Emily and Abigail already left so I had to get home by myself. I hate that I can't drive. Mainly because the thought of it scares me.

I went to the back and changed back into my normal clothes and put my work ones in a bag to take home and wash. I walked to the front to see May wiping a table. I went up to her hugging her and kissing her on the cheek.

"Night sis."

"You don't need a ride home? Its already 10 p.m."

"I'll be fine. But I'll make sure to call you if something happens."

"Okay good. Be safe."

"You too. See you tomorrow." I walked outside and started heading home. Which only takes about 15 minutes since its not that far from my house. Driving wise.

As I was walking, I noticed a group of about 4 people. Its kind of odd to be just standing around this late at night but whatever. theyre on the other side of the road. I got closer and heard a male voice saying some mean things. I looked back over and saw the person pushing someone to the ground. I wanted to help but I didn't want to get involved. But then the rest started kicking at them. I couldn't stand it so I went over to them.

"Hey! Leave that person alone!" They all stopped and looked at me. They all had red eyes that were glowing and since there was some light I was able to tell they were all guys.

"Mind your own business girly. This has nothing to do with you." The man in the middle said. He looked really angry which in all honesty scared me but I can't stand seeing someone get treated like that. Especially since I was treated that same way in the past.

"I know it doesn't but just leave them alone." The guy in the middle walked up to me getting into my face. Sort of. He's a bit taller than me.

"I said stay out of this." He grabbed my hair and pulled it. Pretty hard too. I yelled in pain.

"Leave her alone." I heard a male voice say. It came from the person on the ground and their voice was extremely familiar. I looked at him and saw who it was.

"Jace?!"

"Oh so you know her." The guy said pulling my hair again even harder. I screamed in pain again. Jace stood up and looked at the guy giving him a death stare.

"I said leave her alone."

"Or what? You know you're not strong enough." I felt the guy grip my hair tighter but before he pulled it, I kicked him. Guess where too. He let go of my hair then looked at me. He looked furious. His eyes glowed brighter than the two others standing beside him and there was a little stream of red light kind of like a thin strip of smoke coming from his eyes. I probably shouldn't have done that...