20- Walking Away

"Good morning mommy" Demi crawled onto the couch and onto her Dianna's lap. "Good morning baby girl. How'd you sleep?" "I had a nightmare" Demi whimpered and buried her head into the crook of Dianna's neck. "What was it about?" "Daddy" Dianna winced. "What about daddy?" Demi shook her head. "You can tell me sweetie" "He hurt me" Dianna rubbed Demi's back and kissed her hair. She took in the strawberry scent of Demi's hair.

The door closed and Dianna's head snapped up. "What about me?" Patrick sneered. Demi didn't bother looking up at him but she shivered in her moms arms. "Where have you been?" Dianna tilted her head to the side. He chuckled humorlessly and shook his head. "Doesn't matter" He walked closer. Dianna protectivly hugged Demi closer to her chest. "Give her to me" Patrick said. Dianna shook her head and her jaw opened slightly. "No" She replied. She could hear Demi's whimpers in her ear. "I said, give her to me" Dianna stood up and held Demi on her hip. Demi peeked at Patrick but quickly looked away. "No. I am tired of this" Dianna said tiredly. "Baby go to your room and don't come out until I tell you to okay?" Demi whimpered but she nodded her head. Dianna set her down and Demi took off towards her room.

Demi pressed her back against the wooden door to her room and brought her knees to her chest as she covered her ears with her small palms. She had tears rolling down her rosy cheeks and her eyes closed tightly. Even though her ears were covered she still could hear the screaming and smashing. Once Demi heard her mom scream out in pain, Demi stood up on her feet and gripped the door handle. Her breath caught in her throat as everything went silent. She tried to steady her breathing but from her crying, it's hard.

She turned the handle and looked down the hallway. She could hear loud breathing so she walked faster and she turned the corner to the living room. Demi gasped when she saw her mom lying on the ground, she's not dead, she's not hurt, but she's weak. "Mommy?" Demi ran to her side. "Mommy wake up" Demi cried and shook her mom. "I told you to stay in your room" Dianna said breathlessy. "Mommy he hurt you" "I'm not hurt baby" Dianna tried sitting up but she fell back down and hit her back hard on the floor. Demi gasped and Dianna cried out in pain. "Mommy you're hurt!" "Shh.. No, I just hurt my back. I'm okay, I promise" Demi nodded and Dianna wrapped her arms around her daughter. "I promise I will never let him hurt you again. I promise baby girl. We'll leave and never come back. Stay strong for me, okay?"

=

Demi sat up quickly in her bed. Her room is dark, her clothes are damp because of her sweat and she has tear stains on her cheeks. She wiped her forehead and looked down at Selena. She's still asleep with her mouth hung open and her forehead wrinkled. Demi sighed with relief and leaned against the head board. She hasn't had a nightmare about her birth dad or her past since she was little. But since Dianna is back, they'll probably come back too.

Demi slipped out of bed and tugged her damp shirt over her head. She threw it onto the ground and leaned against the wall once she started seeing two of everything. "Baby are you okay?" Demi jumped at Selena's voice. "Yeah.. It was just a bad dream" Demi chuckled. "Babe you're like naked" Selena giggled. "Not that i'm complaining" Demi looked down and realized she's not wearing pants either. She must of kicked them off in the middle of the night. "It's really hot in here" Demi whispered. "Come back to bed baby" Demi stumbled over to the bed and fell on top of Selena. "Sorry" Demi giggled. "Are you okay? You don't look so good" "I think i'm still in shock" Selena nodded and laid Demi down on her side of the bed. "Do you want me to turn on the air or fan?" "Fan, please" Selena nodded and went over to the fan in the corner of the room. She turned it on high and got back in bed. "What time is it?" Demi asked. Selena took a breath and replied. "Three" "We should get back to sleep babe" Demi whispered and cuddled into Selena's side. "Demi?" "Hm?" "Can you sing to me?" Demi giggled. "I can't sing" "Are you kidding me? I've heard you sing before" "Really? When?" "During choir" "I don't have choir with you" Demi said, confused. "I know. Doesn't mean I don't go there" Selena blushed. "Aww you're blushing" Demi poked her cheek. "Yeah, yeah. So what? I love listening to you sing" Demi shook her head. "Fine. What do you want me to sing?" "Anything"