seventeen

ANNIE LAKEN

The heat from the fire warmed my face once I leaned closer to roast my marshmallow. Grayson and I were sitting outside his and Ethan's house, making s'mores, and talking about anything and everything. We got back from eating about a couple hours ago, then we all decided to watch a movie. Coincidentally, after the movie ended Grayson dragged me outside to watch the sunset with him, then built us a fire.

Everyone else decided to leave us alone... Emma must have told them I was planning on kissing Grayson tonight. Just Grayson and I hanging out did not bother me one bit, it was actually pretty nice and exciting. I haven't been together with someone in months, the feeling of liking someone again was exuberayting.

I watched as my marshmallow began to turn charcoal black, catching on fire. Pulling it away, Grayson watched me blow it out.

"You're not one of those people." He gave me the side eye look, turning his marshmallow to get it perfectly golden brown.

I scuffed, slabbing my perfectly cooked marshmallow onto a gram cracker with Hershey's chocolate. "How rude, you don't see me making fun of your 'perfectly golden brown' one that takes so much more longer than this burnt masterpiece." I squished my s'more together, taking a bite. My hands were instantly sticky, and half of my gram cracker was in my lap. This didn't stop me from moaning at how good it was.

"So burnt, so good." I gushed, taking another bite to finish it off. I didn't mess around with s'mores, I also didn't have the patience like Grayson did.

"Oh hush burnt s'more, look at my golden brown masterpiece." He twirled his stick around in a circle so I could see his whole marshmallow. The entire time he did this I stared at him, watching how proud he was of his s'more. Gosh, how freaking adorable could one person be?

"That's pretty impressive." I commented, standing up so I could sit directly next to Grayson. He didn't say anything as he builded his s'more. I watched as he took a bite, moaning just like I did.

"Fuck, I'm a chef, for real." His words made me laugh, laying my head on his shoulder. My nerves were working up, just wanting to kiss him already. I didn't know when, or how to do it. Should I just lean in? Do I have to wait for us to have a 'moment?'

This was really stressing me out.

Grayson ate the rest of his s'more, brushing off his hands on his shorts. He then leaned his head on mine, placing a hand on my thigh. My stomach began to go crazy. Just wanting to be as close as possible with him as I could.

We both stared at the fire, watching the flames dance. Faint music played in the background, giving me the perfect idea. Standing up, I placed my hand in front of him. With the biggest smile on my face, I said.

"Let's dance."

Grayson smiled, taking my hand immediately. "I can't dance, I'm incredibly awful." *****LET'S JUST PRETEND WE NEVER SAW THE VIDEO OF THEM DANCING ****** Grayson told me as I led us out to an open space. My arms wrapped around his neck gently as his wrapped around my torso.

I looked up at him, biting my lip. "Me too, but that's okay." I took a step to my right, Grayson followed me. We both began to step side to side as if we were dancing at prom. Since he was taller than me, I slowly laid my head on his chest, him pulling me closer.

"I like you a lot Annie, I just can't explain it." He whispered even though it was only the two of us. I could hear his heart pounding fast... Grayson was nervous because of me.