Chapter Forty-Four

[Chapter Forty-Four]

Gliding through the depths of the lake, Saros believed his best strategy would be to remain close to the floor of the lake. He was able to cut through the underwater foliage with ease within his serpent form and he had been so pleased with himself for being able to accomplish the first part of the task. He was sure that Circe could bring herself just to smile a little bit when he told her that he had actually managed it. However, Saros continued to remind himself that his time in serpent form was limited. The longer he remained in the transfigured state, the more he put his mind and body at risk. He needed to find Draco and get out of the lake as soon as possible.

However, the lake was vast, leaving Saros to wonder just where the taken people were located and more so, what was guarding them? In the distance, he could see a shadow swimming up ahead, the thrashing of feet caused his senses underwater to lock in on it as if he was hunting prey. As he slithered against the muddy bottom, there was a cloud of darkness left in his wake as he continued through the forest of black weed, trying to figure out which of the Champions was ahead of him. At this point, it was possible for it to be any of them as he had been the last one to enter the water and as he neared the Champion, there was a break of light that reflected against their hair as they swam closer to the surface.

It was Fleur.

Encased around her entire head was the Bubble-Head Charm, allowing her to have a constant flow of oxygen as she swam through the waters. The charm itself looked somewhat ridiculous, appearing as if the person was wearing an upside-down fishbowl on their heads. But nonetheless, it seemed to be working for Fleur as she continued to swim along. The bit of light that was cutting through the surface reflected against her silvery hair, giving it the appearance as if a small ghost was trailing behind her.

But as something darted across in front of her, Fleur stopped swimming for an instant, looking around trying to figure out what she had seen. However, it only led to her looking behind her and seeing Saros in his serpent form. He could hear the scream, despite it being trapped inside her bubble and while Saros almost opened his mouth to tell her that it was just him, he realised he couldn't speak. Not to mention, if he opened his mouth, he risked dropping his wand that he was carrying on him and he was definitely going to need that.

Fleur swam off in complete terror at the sight of him and Saros couldn't blame her, he would probably do the same if he saw a serpent swimming behind him. Unfortunately, as she swam off, Saros caught sight of movement trailing behind her.

Grindylows.

It certainly made sense that they would be some of the obstacles that the Champions would have to face during the task. They were nasty little creatures that Saros had witnessed swim past the Slytherin Common Room windows on numerous occasions. They were a sickly green in colour with sharp little horns upon its head and razor-sharp teeth. They were the reason that students were warned about swimming in the Black Lake, they didn't have to fear the Giant Squid as it was a gentle creature, but Grindylows were classified as dark creatures.