Chapter 1 Ready for Departure

Chapter 1

Ready for Departure

It was a sunny day in Lewes, Delaware. A boy no more than twenty was riding his bike along the Boardwalk. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of what was a familiar figure he had seen before – a familiar yet warming presence to the lad. He decided to walk towards the figure, revealing a girl that he knew. Up close, the girl was fair with wavy, light, blonde hair with deep, blue eyes that were almost a purplish shade. She wasn't extremely skinny nor was she curvy – just in between. While she was still catching a glimpse of the waves crashing into the area, the boy decided to sneak up to the girl and surprise her a little.

"I thought I would find you here, your parents are looking for you." He smiled at her.

"Mmhmm..." the girl responded to his open topic.

Edward, whom everyone called Eddie, was a tall, slender lad with black hair and blue eyes. He was known to be carefree, rebellious, was quite the jokester to anyone he's ever met. As Amelia gave a vague response to him, Eddie tried getting her attention once more.

"Mia?"

"I don't even feel like packing the rest of my stuff." The girl felt disgusted by the thought of packing.

"Amelia, you're only going to be gone for a week, right? It's not like you're moving away, and besides, the beach is not going anywhere." The boy tried to reassure her.

"I know." Amelia said blankly.

"Talk to me Mia, tell me what's on your mind? Are you really going to miss me that much?"

"Eddie, this will be the first time since I've been away from you since we've started dating. Aren't you as nervous as I am?"

"A little, but think of it this way, a week will fly by before you know it. Do you have your medicine packed?" Edward asked.

"Yeah, I certainly can't forget that. I don't want another trip to be ruined by me rushing to the ER."

"As long as you keep taking it, it shouldn't be a problem, right?"

"Right, lately I've been feeling on the edge like something isn't right."

"Like?"

"I don't know, I'm always paranoid anyway. I guess I better get going or I won't hear the end of it from my parents."

"Okay, call me when you get there in Oahu."

"Will do! Love you!" Amelia said as she rushes back to her home.

Amelia left Edward, her boyfriend, behind on the beach while trying to hurry back home to pack the rest of her bags for her stay in Oahu for a week. This would be the only time she has ever been to Oahu since her maternal uncle had been stationed there from the Navy. He had two daughters as well, but Amelia became distant with one that was closer in age with her. As for the younger one, it was unclear on where their relationship stood since she was five years younger than her.

Once she reached to her home, she opened the door to find the main hallway filled with suitcases and her flustered father waiting for her return.

"Amelia Coppinger! Where were you? Our flight leaves in an hour and you haven't finished packing!" Her father inquired her whereabouts.

"Sorry, Dad, I lost track of time." Amelia responded while catching her breath.