Chapter 2 - Family Reunion

Chapter 2

Happy Reunion

After departing the airport, Hank drove the family to his residence where the main road was not connected anymore. Where he drove next was a dirt road leading up a hill with lush greenery around the driveway. What was behind the trees and shrubs was an older two story house. After the jeep reached to the house, Hank parked the car and started up a conversation.

"Well, here we are. It's not much, but it's cozier inside than it looks outside."

"It's fine, I'm sure you enjoy it in the long run with you being stationed nearby." Ashlynn said.

"If it means serving our country and get a beautiful view, then I'll take it."

As soon as the car door came flying open, a woman came out to greet Hank and the family.

"Ah, there you all are! Welcome to our home!"

Brie was Hank's wife of twenty years.  She was a Hawaiian native with black, long hair, dark, amber eyes, and her skin was delicately tanned.  

"It's good to see you again, Brie. Where's the girls?" Ashlynn greeted while looking for her nieces.

"I'll call them out here. Lynae! Meredith! Come say hello!" Brie shouted toward the house to request the girls out of the house.

Two girls came out of the house looking a bit disinterested but tried to conceal the looks on their faces because knowing they would have gotten a lecture from their father. One girl was a brunette. She had hair that came down to her shoulder blades just like how her cousin Amelia's was. She also had inherited her mother's amber eyes. The other girl was younger around the boys' age. She had dirty blonde hair that came down to her lower back, but inherited her father's bluish green eyes as well.

"Girls, you remember Mia, Alex, and Aaron right?" Brie introduced the girls to the other teenagers.

The girls just stood there not saying a word to either show interest or to be rude to them.

"So, you're our cousins?" Aaron finally broke the silence.

"Did it take you long to figure that out?" Lynae snapped in a snarky tone.

"Lynae Alexandria!" Hank scolded her.

"I don't think we've met before have we?" Meredith peered into the boys a little further as well as Amelia.

"You have but you were too young to remember. Plus, I'm sure the boys were too." Brie mentioned how long ago it was since they last met each other.

"Mere, why don't you show your cousins around the house? And you, young lady, we're going to have a serious talk about manners."

"Whatever..." Lynae scoffed as she walked back into the house.

"You'll have to excuse her, she's been going through her rebellious stage. It wasn't easy for her dealing with Hank being stationed here and all." Brie tries to defend her in an ordinary perspective.

"I can't imagine." Ashlynn said feeling sorry for Brie and the family going through this tension.

"It's not easy being a Navy wife, that's for sure." Brie sighed.

After being let in the house, Meredith showed where the boys would be sleeping at.

"You two will be staying in Lynae's bedroom. Mia, you'll be sleeping with me and Lynae in my room."