Chapter 18 - Temptations

Chapter 18

Temptations

It was finally the girls' first day back in school. While Lynae would start her final year in high school, Meredith was beginning her first year there as well. After they finished getting ready, Lynae drove her car to the school parking lot along with Meredith at her passenger side. The girls sat in the parking lot for a bit nervous to step into those double doors.

"So this is high school," Meredith spoke up.

"Yep, I'm so ready to leave this place."

"How should we go about this? I mean what if it rains at days? What if..."

"We'll come prepared for that. For right now let's just take some baby steps and try to get through this one day,"

"Alright, I'll see you after school?" Meredith asked.

"I'll be here." Lynae sighed.

"Lyn...I..." Meredith tried bringing up the situation in the ocean before.

"You should go get your paperwork and ID badge. Don't want to be late for your first class," Lynae interrupted her knowing what she was going to say.

Meredith did what she was told without another word out of her. She first opened the car door and made her way inside. Lynae had her hands on the steering wheel and took deep breaths trying not to let the past get to her.

"Breathe, Lyn, you can do this. It's only one more year. It's only one more year..." Lyn said to herself.

She slowly got out of her car and walked toward the school entrance. The only thing she could hear was her breath and her heart racing as she walked slowly in the hallways. She then saw some faces turning toward her eyeing her directly. As she was shaking at the stares, she heard a voice in her head once more. That voice was Amelia's.

"Hi, Lyn,"

"Gah, Amelia, don't do that! You scared me!" Lyn scolded in her head.

"Sorry, I knew you had school starting and I kind of sensed – well you know, I am basically trying to get you to ignore the people staring at you in the hallway,"

"What? Did you read my mind again?"

"Didn't have to, this afternoon I felt this heaviness in my chest and then I remembered that today you and Mere started school today,"

"How did you feel that?"

"I don't know, I think it was when I felt like I was being judged or being talked behind my back but I knew it wasn't my situation from where I was at either."

"Gee, thanks for the reminder,"

"Look just block it out. If you can't then you know where to reach me,"

"I'll keep that in mind, but I think I got this,"

"Your body language says otherwise,"

"Will you get out of my head already? Don't you have a boyfriend to see?"

"Alright, alright, I'll leave you alone, but my offer still stands,"

"Okay, later,"

Amelia left the conversation, then Lynae went inside one of the classrooms to get ready for one of her classes.