Chapter 17 - Reactions

Chapter 17

Reactions

While going through the town with Rimulus, Amelia couldn't keep track on where she wanted to focus. She glanced at each stand that was filled with trade goods, jewelry, items that were unfamiliar, and much more. It reminded her of a bazaar of some sorts. She took a keen interest into learning and began speaking to Rimulus again.

"Do they barter here? Or do they just have some sort of currency here?"

"It depends on each town. This one I see they do both. They trade and pay with money, but I've rarely seen anyone pay with money since currency is kind of rare,"

"What do you mean?"

"Each of the towns throughout the entire ocean has not had a stable currency or treasury system since the fall of the royal family over a thousand years. Actually, I take that back. There was another royal family, but that family dispersed since the last mer that was supposed to take the throne abdicated and wanted to live in the human world. Sadly, the previous king did not prepare so there was an economic fallout once again,"

"How long ago was that?"

"Nearly a decade ago,"

"Wow, I didn't realize that the economic and civilized structure was unstable,"

"That's why you see packs roam throughout each town to take what they want. There's sadly no set of law around here for that time,"

"But they look so happy and peaceful, how can it be so bad?"

"That's because one of the packs hadn't touched this one in either a long time or they haven't made it this far yet,"

"Now I see what Allura was talking about saying we were brought here for a reason, it's for people like them," Amelia said while looking at the mer smiling and greeting one another.

Amelia looked around once more and she began to draw into the conversations the merpeople were having. Some she could hear them speak English, some with Latin, and some with other languages as well mixed in. She heard some merchildren playing in the distance. Before becoming overwhelmed with the noises of each conversation, Rimulus got her attention once more.

"My lady!"

Amelia swiftly turned her head towards him.

"Is something the matter?" Rimulus asked waiting on her answer.  

"No, I...I'm fine, are there any libraries around here?"

"There is one outside of this town. Are you wanting to start with the tutoring?"

"Yes, I believe we should get started. I know little, but I still need to learn how to converse with it."

"Of course, my lady. Shall I lead the way?"

"Sure, thank you,"

Rimulus and Amelia began their way to the library where Rimulus stated there was one. They began swimming into some more rocks as they exited the town to head to their next destination. The current was steady and warm making the travel easier and more comfortable for any mer to commute.

Back in a town of Oceano, Meredith was escorted by some villagers from the town the girls rushed to in order to see what was happening. They ended up getting involved in a matter which they made a daring rescue even though not hearing Allura's warnings she gave to Amelia. The elder merman, who tried restraining Lynae to go near the fire, invited Lynae and Meredith for dinner as gratitude for the actions they displayed going out of their way helping one of his fellow neighbor's family in a grave situation.