Chapter 10 - Memorable Scars

Chapter 10

Memorable Scars

DISCLAIMER: This chapter contains talk about sexual violence.  

When the girls went downstairs, they saw Hank and Bill working on something on the coffee table, Ashlynn reading her book, and Brie watching the guys. It didn't take long for Hank to know who was coming downstairs without looking up.

"We were wondering when you girls would come downstairs, you've been so cooped up in that bathroom, is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything's fine, Dad." Meredith responded in a neutral tone.

"That earthquake last night made national headlines," Bill mentioned.

"It should, it just came out of nowhere. I just hope it didn't stir up those volcanoes on the islands feeling how strong that was despite it being a short time. Last thing we need is a state emergency and lava coming to this place."

Meredith shrunk back a little feeling guilty to have caused the earthquake in the first place.

"Hank, by any chance did you turn down the thermostat?" Brie asked.

"No, why?"

"It was freezing going up those stairs, the boys were also complaining that it was freezing and their room was cold indeed,"

"Darn thermostat, I'll have it looked at later on in the evening. Last thing we need is an electrician when we don't need one,"

Amelia and Lyn looked grimly at each other reminiscing last night.

"You girls are really quiet, are you sure nothing is bugging you?"

"Well -" Meredith looked like she was going to spill something.

"It's okay, hon, you can tell us," Brie encouraged her.

"It's school,"

Amelia and Lynae breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Ah, I see now. Don't worry, we'll go get your school supplies before you go back," Hank remembered.

"No, it's not that."

Hank was a little confused, but Brie had an idea of what she was going to say.

"Is there any way I can be homeschooled this year?"

"Meredith, you're starting high school, it's going to be a different environment from your old school," Hank mentioned.

As Hank said that to Meredith, Brie couldn't help but ask another question to Meredith.

"Honey, is there someone at school that was giving you a hard time?" Brie glared at Hank after asking directly to Meredith.

Before Meredith answered that question, Amelia heard something in Meredith's voice but it didn't come out of her mouth though.

I'm scared that I'll be targeted like Lynae especially worse now with this going on.

Amelia asked herself after she overheard Meredith's thoughts, What did that mean? What did Meredith mean when she said in her head 'targeted like Lynae'?

"The kids over there are mean, Dad. Plain and simple." Lynae intervened in the conversation.

"You two are going to have to deal with these bullies. They'll end up in a local market selling pineapples after high school anyway," Hank said.