Chapter 40 - Redemption

Chapter 40

Redemption

Warning: Some scenes may be triggering that involve death.  Reader Discretion is advised. 

"Meredith, wait..." Ernest rushed to her before she could catch up with the others. "Ernest, I need you to stay here. If anybody asks where we are, tell them that we are on urgent business, but do not give explicit details."

"But she might have..." "I know, but she's too dangerous for you to encounter. I will avenge you and your family, Ernest. On my honor as a Samudran, I will." Meredith calmly consoled Ernest persuading him to remain in the ocean. He nodded in submission.

As she swam up to catch up with the rest, the group swam as swiftly as possible to reach to the Delaware shoreline. Amelia still writhed in pain as she witnessed the atrocities she was committing. The pain she displayed concerned everyone. "Please hang in there, Amelia, we're getting there as fast as we can." Lynae pleaded to her as she was hanging over Keanu's shoulder.

"Of all the pettiest things I've seen, I never thought Allura would stoop so low to do this," Meredith scoffed. "It's not her. This happens whenever I'm close to where my vision is taking place. The closer I get, the stronger the vision and the pain becomes." Amelia grimaced. "You can't let the pain control you no matter how bad it is. We need you to stop Allura." Haruto added. "Who said I was giving up? Did I give up when I had epilepsy since I could walk? It's going to take a hell of a lot more than that to keep me down. Alright, if we're going to get there, at least put me down."

"You sure you can swim with what you got in your head, princess?" Keanu asked. "Was my inspiring speech not enough to convince you otherwise?" Amelia retorted. Keanu released Amelia from his hold and she started darting off leading the group where she knew where the chaos was happening. "You mean this whole time she could have been swimming, and I didn't have to carry her?" Keanu said coldly. "I think she just wanted to rip the band aid off if you know what I'm saying," Haruto added.

"Well, she's not going to wait on us to catch up we better pick it up," Lynae instructed.

Less than half an hour passed by and they reached to their destination. They stopped at their usual changing spot to clothe themselves up. As they all gained their legs back, Lynae, Haruto, and Meredith struggled to stand up. "What's happening? Why can't we stand up?" Lynae asked. "You've been in the ocean for so long, your legs will feel like that if you don't go up once in a while." Keanu explained. "Oh, now you tell us!" Lynae cursed while saying this.

"Hey, you guys okay?" Amelia ran up to them already dressed. "Stone face here told us our legs aren't working because we've been swimming for far too long without using our legs." Lynae huffed in exhaustion trying to get up. "Keanu, grab one of them, I'll figure about the other two."

"I'll be fine, Mia, I have my weapon I can use as a crutch. Get the others," Meredith declined assistance. Keanu and Amelia grabbed each one with Meredith lagging behind. "Come on, you've got to get circulation in your legs." Amelia instructed Haruto calmly. "We're only slowing you down on the mission, go without us," Haruto pleaded. "Not a chance, we need all of you, I can't face Allura by myself if the speculations are true about her potential now. Besides, I can't leave you behind."

Haruto's heart pounded hard at that statement she made. Then he started to put more force into his steps trying to speed the progress. "Hey slow down there, you don't want to tire yourself out," Amelia warned.

After some walking, the three regained the ability to walk once more and followed Amelia's lead. They were led to a more populated area where fire was burning cars on the streets, the roads were unleveled, windows were shattered, and people were scattering. "She's near, I feel her," Amelia declared.