Chapter 9 - Chilling Reactions

Chapter 9

Chilling Reactions

The next morning came about, and Amelia knew she was running out of time with her cousins about the situation they are faced with. She realized that the day after tomorrow was when she and her family would be heading back home to Lewes. Meredith had already fully transformed into a mermaid while she and Lyn were in the process of transitioning themselves.

"You can't leave, Amelia. You can't leave us with what is going on among us three,"

"I don't have much choice in the matter, Lyn. I have to go back sometime."

"Why so you can be back with your boyfriend? What will he do when he finds out that you're part fish!?" Lynae replied harshly.

"I don't know! But I also can't say to mom and dad, 'hey I change my mind, I want to stay here a bit longer'. Those tickets are round trip, and I doubt they could cancel one of them for me."

"But school is about to begin for us, what happens if we encounter with water in public? How are we supposed to hide that?" Meredith asked worryingly.

"Again, I don't know. What I do know is we shouldn't prolong our transition. Otherwise our parents will find us unconscious and drive us to the hospital. Then the worst case scenario will play on from there."

"Do you think it will hurt us?"

"I'm not sure, Meredith wouldn't know since she was unconscious while that was taking place at the time. But I'll go first to keep your mind at ease," Amelia said while looking down at the tub and turned on the water.

"Yeah I don't even recollect getting into the tub or the bathroom for that matter," Meredith added.

The tub was full of lukewarm water and Amelia took a deep breath before climbing in the tub. She hesitantly climbed in shaking and then sat herself down in the tub. She waited while looking at her feet impatiently.

"How do you feel?" Lynae asked.

"I don't feel anything, my skin stopped itching once I got in the water, but I didn't change yet."

"Well, maybe like our symptoms, our transition times vary. Maybe you might take a little longer,"

"I know one thing, it feels really good, like my body just wants to melt with the water,"

"Oookayyyy," Lynae said while looking at her cousin weirdly.

Amelia then submerged her head underwater and stayed there for a long time. Lynae grew concerned but she was scared of touching the water.

"Mia, come on, quit scaring me, get out,"

"Mia?" Meredith tried calling to her.

"Amelia! Get out!"

"Drag her out before she drowns!" Meredith pleaded her sister.

"And what if something happens to me when I touch the water?!"

"And risk that over your drowning relative?! If you won't, I will!" Meredith began trying to pull her out but Lynae stopped her.

"Stop, stop, okay, I'll do it, we don't need you going back to your tail,"

Lynae dipped her hand and arms to cradle Amelia's head to place it on the edge of the tub. She started sweating after getting into contact with the water. Amelia stared blankly at Lynae as she was being repositioned in the tub. Then all of a sudden, Lynae started to wheeze while trying to breathe.