Chapter 28 - Law and Order

Chapter 28

Law and Order

Rimulus gathered his newest recruits of help for the Aula and went over protocol and expectations on the upkeep of the Aula. "I know this is a big place to take care of, but right now, until we get more help, we shall focus on one room at a time. Those who are assigned to changing the magma rocks will only do the East Wing for today. Those who are cleaning will only focus on the grande hall. This will be a three-day job so don't push yourself or rush on anything. We will meet for dinner at second low tide. So. let's get a move on so dinner will approach sooner than we know it." Rimulus said motivating the four servants in line.

While turning to the kitchens, one of the younger servants rushed over to him. "What about my mother? Will she be seen by a doctor?" The maiden asked. "Even better, she'll be seen by Coronum Reginae herself." Rimulus said smiling. "But she..." Rimulus cut her off. "Let me explain, she has healing abilities and studied about numerous of remedies and medicines. I've even tutored her on the common ailments and learning the symptoms for each of those illnesses."

"You tutored Her Highness?" The maiden exclaimed in shock. "Of course, she didn't make me her personal servant for just serving her every whim." Rimulus smiled. "What about, you know?" The maiden stared down as she asked. "Her Highness will take care of it. I made her aware of the situation and she will handle it." Rimulus said placing his hand on her shoulder. "I can't thank you enough." "You can start by waxing the floors at the hall. I'll see you around dinner time." Rimulus stated. "Okay, see you."

In another room, an older maiden was coughing and wheezed. Amelia swam in the room. "Your Highness..." The maiden coughed while trying to sit upright. "Lie back down, don't exert yourself on my behalf." Amelia said calmly. The maiden nodded and did what she was told. "I beg your pardon, Your Highness, but why are you here for me?" the maiden asked. "I'm here to nurse you back to health. Rimulus may not have mentioned it, but I have healing properties and he taught me some well-known remedies."

"You are indeed following into Cirra's footsteps. She studied medicine along with the priests and priestesses of Atlantica. It was a shame she turned out the way she did at the end. Sources say that her power led her to insanity and lashing out on her own kind." The maiden stated. Amelia froze after hearing the maiden's last sentence. She then continued to crush the herbs together and mixed it in with a thick liquid in a closed pitcher. She poured the liquid in the bowl where she crushed the herbs and mixed it together.

She handed the bowl for the maiden to drink out of. She drank it slowly and the coughed a little bit trying to keep the liquid down. Once she finished, Amelia left the woman to rest to recuperate. She felt a heaviness come around her chest feeling the impact of that statement the maiden said about what went about Cirra in her final days.

Rimulus was passing by and saw Amelia looking glum. "Something troubling you, my lady?" Amelia then regained composure, "I'm alright, just a bit exhausted from the healing process." Then he spoke up once more, "My lady, if you ever-"

He was cut off shortly after feeling presence at the main entrance. Amelia sensed it too and went to the door together. "May I help you?" Amelia said in a cold tone. "Yes, I heard you have the thief that stole food from my produce stand living with you." The merman said with haste. "Yes, and she is in servitude to make up for her transgressions." Amelia stated. "That's not what your little puppet told me!" He said pointing to Rimulus. "I did not misspeak to my lady. The situation is being handled." Rimulus said as well. "She needs to be brought to justice!" The mer chanted. "If you are aware of mer law, the child cannot be held accountable for her actions, but would be directed to their parents and from my first hand witness, the mother is not fit to stand trial. She has tuberculosis and is being treated as we speak." The mer stood back knowing how contagious the disease was to them. Amelia then continued on, "The child was only trying to find food to feed her ailing mother. Would you steal for the people who raised you or would you leave them to starve if there were no other options?"