Chapter 3

Sitting in the back of the class, Virgil could barely keep his eyes open. His homeroom teacher continued to drone on and on, not caring that half of the class had already fallen asleep. Only when the bell rang did they all awaken and hurriedly exit the door. Virgil, however, had stayed behind, waiting for the crowd by the door to clear before leaving.
Walking through the crowded hallways, he kept close to the wall with his hood on. Reaching his first class, he sighed in relief.
"Looks like He isn't here today. Thank goodness." He thought as he took his seat in the back of the class by the window. Virgil took out his supplies as the teacher began to talk. He wasn't great in school, but he wasn't bad enough to draw attention, which is exactly what he aimed for: average.
Beginning to fall asleep once more, a sudden commotion from the hallway woke him up and gained the entire class's attention. Without warning, the door swung open and four men entered the classroom. Virgil froze.
Roman, Patton, Logan, and Thomas stood at the front of the class by the door, all looking around excitedly. The teacher stared at them in confusion.
"Who are you? How dare you disrupt my class!" She yelled,
Spotting Virgil in the back, they all went and gathered around him, ignoring the stares and the teacher's protests.
"What are you guys doing here?!?" Virgil whispered, barely containing the yelling he felt in his throat.
"We wanted to know what this 'school' you spoke of this morning was, so we had Thomas follow your scent." Logan answered calmly, looking around himself at the classroom in fascination. The others nodded in agreement.
"You guys can't be here right now." Virgil said, glancing at the furious teacher coming their way.
"Mr. Storm, do you know these hooligans?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest.
"Y-Yes, Miss K, (I'm no good with names.) they are my new roommates. I'm sorry for the disruption. I'll send them home right now." Virgil apologized, pushing the four out the door into the hallway.
"You four better leave the school soon or I will have to call the authorities!" Miss K huffed as they left.
"You four have to go back right now. You're attracting a lot of unwanted attention." Virgil said, looking around the halls. A few students were staring at them from afar and chatting. Virgil felt his face heating up and he put his hood on.
"What do you mean? Attention is a good thing. Having the spotlight on you is one of the best things ever." Roman said, putting his arms up enthusiastically.
"Not for me." Virgil mumbled under his breath. "Anyways, go home. If you stay any longer, you could end up getting arrested for trespassing."
"What's arrested?" Thomas asked, tilting his head. The others doing the same. Virgil looked at them in disbelief, but quickly brushed passed it.
"It means all of us will be in trouble. I'll explain more later, but please go home now." Virgil said, slightly exasperated.
"Alright, Virgil. We'll go back now. See you later!" Patton said, beginning to walk down the hall, half dragging Roman and Thomas behind him. Logan followed them quietly, looking back at Virgil before leaving. Virgil waved as they left before going back into the class.
For the rest of the day, Virgil kept his hood and headphones on, ignoring the teachers' scoldings and his classmates' stares and whispers. When the final bell rang, Virgil was the first one out the door and off campus.
Reaching his apartment door, he heard loud shuffling on the other side. Before he could put the key in the lock, it swung open and Thomas immediately pressed Virgil into a tight embrace.
"Welcome Back, Virgil!" He yelled.
Virgil awkwardly returned the hug before prying him off and entering the apartment. He stopped dead in his tracks.
The apartment was a wreck. The couch was upside down, bite marks all over it, books were lying around in small stacks every here and there, there was a horrible stench in the air, and the TV was on the floor, a large crack on the screen. Virgil couldn't breath, the stink filling his lungs. He immediately ran outside to breathe, ignoring Thomas's confused looks.
"Logan, Patton, and Roman! Where are you?" Virgil yelled from outside, still gasping for air.
"We're in here!" Patton said cheerfully from inside the house before leading the way outside. "What's up, kiddo?"
"What do you mean 'what's up?'? What happened to the apartment?!?" Virgil yelled as calmly as he could, but traces of panic were evident in his voice. Patton smiled sheepishly.
"Weellll...." He said in a high pitched voice and shrinking behind Roman.
"Logan found a cookbook after finishing all the other books you had, so he decided he would try cooking...it didn't end well." Roman explained, smirking at Logan, who glared at him.
"I was changing my stitches, so that explains some of the smell that's not Logan's cooking." Patton cut in before Logan opened his mouth to speak. "And Thomas was getting impatient from waiting all day, so he got a bit carried away with the couch. Don't blame him though! He's still just a pup." Roman rustled Thomas's hair as he spoke.
"And the TV?" Virgil asked, pinching the bridge of his nose.
"If you are referring to the talking box, Roman tried to rescue the trapped people inside." Logan answered, trying to hide a smirk.
"Just great, Roman. Great Job." Virgil thought. The thoughts seemed to show through his face, because Roman made offended princey noises. Logan and Patton struggles to stifle their laughing.
"Whatever. I have to get ready to go to work, so just wait here." Virgil sighed as he began walking to the door.
He took a deep breath before opening the door and running in. Entering his room, he quickly changed into his work uniform before running back out of the apartment. Gasping for breath as he reached the exit, he ignored the four monsters amused looks.
"While I'm away, I want you guys to try to clean some of that mess up. Later!" Virgil yelled as he ran off.
"Don't worry, Virgil! We'll do just that!" Thomas yelled in response, waving his arm. Virgil felt a slight bit more stress added to his chest as he heard that.
"Don't tell me not to worry, because then I'm going to worry even more than if you didn't tell me to worry."