Chapter 4

Virgil worked at a nearby Hot Topic store, so he enjoyed work. It was usually quiet, the customers and employees were nice, and he got great discounts. However, today Virgil was a nervous wreck. No matter what he did, the four monsters at home were in his thoughts. He tried his best not to let his anxiety show, but he couldn't help but play with the sleeves of his hoodie as he worked.
"Hey, are you alright?" Rose, his employer, asked when she took notice of his behavior. Virgil gave her a weak smile and nodded. She shrugged and carried on.
Time Skip
Getting home, Virgil heard a shuffling noise once more and prepared himself. The door swung open and Patton gave Virgil a great big bear hug. Virgil gave him the same awkward hug he gave Thomas earlier that evening before entering the apartment. He froze.
The apartment was cleaned up almost entirely. The couch still had bite marks and the TV still had cracks on the screen but it all appeared as if nothing had ever happened otherwise.
"Wow, great job cleaning guys." Virgil said, walking to his room.
"Well it was mostly me, but thanks." Logan said, making Virgil jump. Looking up, Virgil found Logan lying on the ceiling with his nose in a book. He looked up and gave a small smile before returning to his reading.
Going to his room, Virgil changed into pajamas and quickly went back out to the living room carrying his laptop. The four monsters gathered together in interest of the strange item in his hand.
"Roman, do NOT break this, understand?" Virgil warned, ignoring Roman's offended princey noises.
"What is this mechanism anyway?" Logan asked, watching Thomas and Patton poking at it lightly.
Virgil sat down on the chewed up couch, immediately followed by the four.
"This is a laptop. It lets me find any kind of information I want to know. Well, mostly. Sometimes, it doesn't work very well." He explained, turning it on. "And I can now look for a new apartment on here. Look, I already found one in this area. It's pretty cheap."
Patton smiled brightly looking at the pictures on the screen. Virgil however, began to bite his nail.
"If I work overtime, I should be able to afford to pay the rent, but then there's other expenses I have to pay. There's no way there's going to be a large apartment as cheap as I want it to be. What was I thinking? And living with monsters is going to bring even more expenses. What am I going to do-" Virgil's thoughts were interrupted when he heard a slight whining noise next to him. Looking over, he found Thomas hugging his knees, his eyes beginning to water and high pitched whining noises escaping his throat. Patton was hugging him and rubbing circles on his back while Roman was kneeling down in front of Thomas, holding his hand.
"Thomas is a werewolf, part of the dog family. Dogs can feel what we feel emotionally, so Thomas can feel what we do." Logan explained, whispering into Virgil's ear. "I'd advise you try to calm down a bit. You've drawn blood from your nail."
Virgil instantly looked down. Blood was trickling down his index finger. He had bitten his flesh without realizing it.
Virgil took a few deep breaths, slowly calming down. Thomas immediately followed suit.
"Sorry about that, Thomas." Virgil said quietly. Thomas nodded and hugged Virgil tightly, Virgil returning the hug awkwardly. Patton and Roman suppressed the urge to aww.
"Virgil, might I ask what caused you to feel such stress?" Logan asked, watching the two still hugging.
"Uhm...well... It just hit me that I might not be able to afford all the expenses when we move out." He admitted, avoiding eye contact with the 4 monsters.
"You could have just said so, kiddo." Patton pet Virgil's head from over Thomas, who refused to let go. "We can help you out."
"That's it! We can get one of those job things you have! Then we can help with living supplies and get whatever we want without worry." Roman stated, posing dramatically.
"Great idea, Roman!" Thomas cheered, finally releasing Virgil from his death grip. "Oh! I can be one of those dog walkers I've seen pass by through the window earlier!"
"That'd be a reasonable job seeing as you can communicate with canines telepathically." Logan commented, making Thomas smile slightly proud.
Virgil sat quietly, trying to keep up with their conversation in his mind. When he finally understood what was being said, he smiled nervously.
"So they're going to find jobs. They don't even know how to turn on the TV...would this really work?" Virgil quickly tried to get rid of his doubts before a repeated panic attack happened for Thomas.
"If you guys are going to get jobs, you're going to need some new clothes." Virgil stated, looking at Patton and Thomas's ripped clothing and Roman's overly flashy prince clothes. "Logan's fine, but you three need a makeover, Thomas especially."
"I can make the fur on my face go away to make me look more human if that's what you mean." Thomas suggested, raising his hand to his chest. With a snap of his fingers his fur was gone and he looked like the Thomas Sanders we all know and love, just with extremely messy hair.
Virgil stares in amazement at Thomas.
"Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. That saved us a trip to the barber." Virgil said, feeling a bit of ease wash over him. "I didn't know how I would have explained his fur to the barber."
Logan smiled slightly as Virgil let out a yawn. "You should sleep, Virgil. It appears a human needs at least 8 hours of sleep to be at their best."
"Alright, I'll go to sleep. Tomorrow we can go to the mall to find your new clothes guys."
"What about school?" Roman asked, though it was clear he didn't really care. He was fantasizing what a mall would look like.
"I can skip. This is more important. Well, good night." Virgil sleepily walked into his room, closing the door behind him. Flopping onto his bed after placing his laptop on a coffee table, Virgil immediately drifted into a rare deep sleep.
(Sorry for the late update. School keeps getting in the way of my fun. Well, it's here now, so yeah. Happy Halloween. Laterz!)