Chapter 13

Virgil's POV
...What?....Whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat....WHAT?!?
My mind was moving a mile a minute. I could feel my face heat up greatly as I shake my head.
"N-No! We're n-not a couple." I stutter. "Logan and I are just friends."
Talyn and Joan's faces seem to fall slightly as I finish speaking.
"I see." They both say simultaneously and quietly. Why are they so sad hearing this?
"Moving on," Logan cut in. "Virgil, I believe this apartment is satisfactory, so I would say should accept it."
"Y-Yeah. I'll go try to find...the realtor." I say, beginning to walk to the front door. Damn, I forgot his name again.
"Yes, and please don't tell Mack of Talyn and Joan. If you pretend to be scared, then we may be able to keep the price as low as it is." Logan called as I closed the door behind me. Thanks Logan.
I quickly found Mack sitting in his car at the front of the building. He was hugging his knees in the front passenger seat and breathing quickly. He's having a panic attack.
"Mack, can you hear me?" I asked quietly through his open window. Mack nodded his head ever so slightly.
"Okay, I'm going to need to try to breathe, buddy. Can you try to breathe along with me?"
He nodded again.
After breathing together for a few minutes, Mack let go of his knees and sighed shakily.
"Thank you, Virgil." He whispered.
"No problem." I answer. "But I gotta ask. What brought this on?"
"Th-Those things that were behind you...they just appeared out of nowhere a month ago. As soon as anyone found them, they immediately moved out....My boss is at the end of his patience with this place. If I don't find someone to move there soon, I'll be fired..." Wow, what a sucky boss. Poor guy.
"Then it's your lucky day. Me and Logan decided we like it there and want to move in." I announced, half smiling.
"You-You mean it?" Mark instantly perked up.
"Of course." Logan's voice says from behind me. Both me and Mark flinched at his sudden appearance.
"Thank you! Ah- Alright, so leave the paperwork and discussed renovations to me. If everything goes smoothly, then you two should be able to start the moving process in two days. I'll see you then!" Mack hastily said as he shifted around to get to the drivers seat and dive off. Well that was a fast transition.
"Shall we go home now?" Logan asked, gesturing toward the bus stop. I nod and start walking along side him.
However, he seemed sort of...off. What's wrong? Before I could ask the question, the bus pulled up in front of us. I quickly put my hood on as I stepped onto the bus.
Logan's POV
There was a pain in my chest that wouldn't go away. I'm a ghost, so why am I feeling such pain? Let's see, it's been here since Virgil stayed we are just friends, but why? He was merely telling the truth.
Trying to shake away my thoughts and pain, I watched as Virgil boarded the extremely packed bus.
Having to stand, we grabbed onto the poles for stability. Virgil seemed to be shaking. This many people must be making him nervous. Just hold on a little longer Virgil. We're almost home.
However, something shiny on his cheek caught my eye. A tear? W-Why is he crying? I tried to figure out what it was until I finally saw it. A hand. A hand was on his butt, evidently squeezing it.
I immediately felt myself go over the edge. Tightly grabbing the wrist belonging to the hand, I yanked it away from Virgil. Twisting the arm of a sloppily dressed middle aged man, he let out a strained whimper.
"Hey! What the hell are you doin'?!?" He cried out, groaning in pain.
"I was about to ask you the same." I say, not bothering to filter out the anger in my voice.
"I-I wasn't doin' anything." He protested, slurring a bit. I tightened my grip on his arm.
"Playing dumb wont save you."
"Alright! Alright! But I was just having a bit of fun with a slut. What's the harm in that? I mean just look at him. He's practically begging me to do something." Without a word, I snapped his forearm in half, silencing the crack with my powers so none of the passengers would notice. He let out a loud yelp.
Suddenly, I could feel the bus pulling to a stop.
"Drunk pervert! Get off of my bus this instant!" The bus driver yelled from the front. The pair of doors closest to me opened up. I quickly shoved the man out through the doorway, watching him fall to the ground outside. He immediately began clutching his now broken arm and rolling around the floor before the doors closed once more. Cheers and cries could be heard from the other passengers behind me.
Ugh. Can you all shut up?
Turning around, I was met with Virgil giving me a small teary eyed smile. The sight seemed to relieve my irritable mood instantly.
"Are you okay?" I ask quietly, taking my place beside him. He nodded silently, staring at the floor.
"Bunk Ave." the driver called, opening all the doors for passengers to exit.
"That's our stop." I say, leading the way for us to leave.
The short walk home was silent, though I didn't mind. At some point, Virgil began holding the cuff of my long sleeved shirt. For some unknown reason, it made me feel warm. It was as if the pain from earlier today never occurred.
Reaching the door, I felt Virgil tug on my sleeve lightly. Turning around to face him, he was suddenly hugging me tightly. My mind was suddenly blank.
"Th-Thank you...for coming with me today." Virgil said quietly, burying his face into my shoulder.
"N-No need to t-thank me." I managed to say in my flustered state. "I was just doing my duty as your friend."
Saying the words hurt greatly, but I shook it off as Virgil pulled away from the hug and smiled.
"L-Let's go inside n-now."
"Yes, it's about time for your lunch. You need to eat properly since you're human after all." Virgil rolled his eyes as he unlocked the door.
"Yeah, yeah, just get inside already." He laughed.
God, I love his laugh.